Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Share |

Molding Galore !!! unbelievable .

I just wanted to tell about an experience I had yesterday looking for panel molding. Here in the Detroit area.
I have tried to find the right molding to use in the center of my wainscoting wall leading up the staircase of my older home cir. 1890's.Like you see in pictures of magazines.
After trying all the big box stores and small lumber yards shrinking their stock supply, I turned to an old company in Detroit. General Hardwoods.They had what I wanted on the internet, but I asked if they had a dealer out my way. 30 miles away.
He gave me the name of a dealer, ADW in Shelby Township, Mi.
When I got there I was really impressed with all the stuff crammed all over the place. But hey" where's the Molding. "" Follow me the gentleman said.
Down to a second level He opened a door and you could smell the wood.
I gazed down a very long corridor room. It was like a long row of every type of molding ever made by man. almost half the length of a football field. If they don't have your molding, then it was never made.
I had so many types of designs of panel moldings to chose from.
What is astonishing, is I have been around wood workers for 30 years and no one has ever mentioned this place in conversation I asked how long he was there and he said 24 years, Prices better the box stores.
I remember My father taking me to an old lumber yard in Detroit around 1946, This is about what i remembered.

Just a nice experience to retell.
Deck Hand

deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

I my area there's lumber yards that have been around for 100 years.
I have one that can take any profile you have and make the cutters for it and have it for you in 48 hours.
Another one I called and told them I needed some 3" thick X 12" wide kiln dryed white oak to make some thresholds out of.
They had white oak and even heart pine on stock.
I go to the office to pay and by the time I back my trailer into the warehouse there was 4 people standing there holding my piece waiting to load it.

Often times when working on older homes the profile of the trim was only found in that one area because the local planning mill made the cutters in house.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I my area there's lumber yards that have been around for 100 years.
I have one that can take any profile you have and make the cutters for it and have it for you in 48 hours.
Another one I called and told them I needed some 3" thick X 12" wide kiln dryed white oak to make some thresholds out of.
They had white oak and even heart pine on stock.
I go to the office to pay and by the time I back my trailer into the warehouse there was 4 people standing there holding my piece waiting to load it.

Often times when working on older homes the profile of the trim was only found in that one area because the local planning mill made the cutters in house.
Hi Joe
Ain't it great to know where to turn when you need something Like this DIY forum. Years ago one had to just try and error, Now advise is there for the asking and even if, whether I take the advice or not I say thanks for taking the time to sit in front of your computer and try to help out with you input.
Stay the course.

Thanks to all you out there.

Deck Hand
deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deck hand For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-02-2013)