Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #1

Share |

Molding drywall by shower - rented APT

So we're moving out in just about a month's time. Problem is we just now noticed some paint was peeling next to our shower, and there is some mold behind it, and a square foot or so of the wall at the floor is kind of soggy/rotting.

Is this pretty serious? Are we responsible for this, and going to get charged? Should we just fix it ourselves or not tell them? lol.

Any help is much appreciated.
sven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If the damage was not there when you moved in, and you failed to provide an adequate shower curtain or something, or if you failed to notify the landlord of a leak you might be dinged for this. It could be serious depending on the true extent of the water and mold damage.

If it is a leak you would not normally notice and in the plumbing behind the walls, you might argue your way from the situation.

Best look over your lease and the move-in inspection that should have happened. You might want to consult your local tenants union prior to moving out. It is a good idea to take pictures when entering and leaving a leased property.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
A Little Of Everything

^ What this old goat said.

The real stickler here is whether or not there was a problem when you moved in - and especially whether or not it was noted by both you and the landlord.

My daughter & her husband just moved into a new apartment on April 1st. Beautiful old historic building with lots of charm - and lots of little weird stuff in the apartment. They were given a "move in checklist of problems" to fill out. We went through the apartment with a fine-toothed comb, noted every little problem, and took about 100 pictures to boot.

So... Can you help us out with a little more information?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

We're 90% sure it's our fault. The spot gets wet easily from taking showers, although we do have a shower curtain.

However, if they don't notice it and we move out, will we be charged later?

I mean, if we just don't mention it...
sven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven7 View Post
We're 90% sure it's our fault. The spot gets wet easily from taking showers, although we do have a shower curtain.

However, if they don't notice it and we move out, will we be charged later?

I mean, if we just don't mention it...
Maybe not.

But as a former landlord and property manager? I would not plan on using me as a reference if you went out of your way to hide something I found later involving damage you caused, hid and after I gave your security deposit back.

To be honest, if the damage was limited? And this was the only damage to the apartment over the course of your tenancy? I might have dinged your security deposit a little bit or not depending on how you handled the situation. You may gain more long term being honest about your concerns. Just a suggestion to consider. You face an ethical challenge here do you not?

One lesson learned is that you should get a better shower curtain in your new place hugh?

And as Dr. Hicks and I have suggested. You always take photos and do a detailed walkthrough of places you rent going in to them and leaving them---hopefully before you sign a lease. What if for instance, you go into your new place and the prior tenants snuck water damage from a failed shower curtain?

I always insisted on inspections and photos from the landlord side. But learned from student days as a tenant in some sort of strange places.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote