Molded Fiberglass Computer Chair Construction, Need Help - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Molded Fiberglass Computer chair construction, need help

Here is what I am building:

http://www.waskomtexas.com/spaceship...spaceship.html

Here is my problem, if you have looked at the webpage above I am trying to figure out how to mold or construct a translucent bubble that fills the gaps that are between the white window slats. The 4th picture down shows how I want it to look. I can put plastic sheeting inside and blow air into the cavity. What I need is something to paint on or spray on that will end up being about 3/16" to a 1/4" thick. I could use resin but it runs off before it cures and is too thin. I don't care to be able to see clearly thru it just that it would let in a little defused light. If there was some way to make a resin that was a thicker that would stay in place till it cured. I can put on several coats if I need to to get the thickness. Any ideas ?

I have been using this chair that I molded to fit my body for over 10 years. (No comments about how wide it is, lol). I am a commercial artist (retired) and spent many 16 hour days working on my computer system doing art for clients.

Additional information is below as to how I made the chair. I had a lot of fun showing this computer system off and the Spaceship that was my office. If you wish you can see pictures at:

http://www.waskomtexas.com/spaceship/visit.html

I set down in a dirt pile and formed the shape around me, until I was in the position that I wanted. We then covered the hole with a sheet of plastic. We used a wheel borrow to mix resin and soak fiberglass cloth. We laid the cloth into the hole on top of the plastic, then another layer of plastic.

I set back in the hole on top of the whole mess till it had cured enough to hold it's shape. (Yes, it got very hot and the vapors came thru the plastic, I was ready to get up.) Once the fiberglass shell was out of the hole and cleaned up I reinforced the back, attached an old office chair base so it would turn. Next I used Bondo to smooth and finish the inside. Then painted it black.

Advertisement

Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #2

Hey, guys I know this is a crazy thing to work on but it is important to me. surly someone out there can help me with this.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #3

Then is there some type of plastic that I could mold with heat or a chemical that would work ?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

resin is intended to be used with something such as fiberglass. By itself, it has very little strength and would most likely break.

am I understanding you that using ''glass in the system may not be what you are looking for?

I can not think of any liquid application that would do what you are attempting either.

the only thing I can think of is if you were to do the plastic blow up, then make a mold of the area. Then, make a positive of that. (all of this is to make a complete surface that is durable). Then, using something like a sheet of polypropylene or some other exothermic plastic and one heck of a heat source, semi-melt the plastic to fit the form and let cool.

Obviously, if you consider this method, you will need to practice with the heat so as to learn how not to burn the plastic yet cause it to soften enough to conform to your desires.

the surface of the mold would need to be as smooth as you desired the final piece to be. It will take on all the scratches, pits, and bumps of the mold.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #5

Making a female mold is an option that I had not really considered. It would probably work if I can not find an easer way. I have posted some pictures at:

Bed and computer console inside a spider

This will give you a better understanding of what I am trying to do.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Actually, I did not stop at a female mold. You apparently misunderstood the rest.

from the female mold, you make a male pattern. This way, where you have all those straps, it will be solid. You then might be able to heat mold a piece of plastic over that so it will fit over your webbing.

One thing I would be concerned about is heat. It looks like you intend to have this entire thing totally enclosed. You will build up heat and humidity in there without some type of ventilation system.

one other method:

stop with the female mold and if you understand how vacuum forming works, you could turn that mold into a vacuum mold. You still have the concern of what type of plastic to use and how to heat it but maybe a path to look down. That is a very deep draft piece to vacuum form but it may still be possible, or maybe make it out of a couple pieces and connect them.

If looks are no concern, you could still fiberglass that entire bubble. Fiberglass and resin, with no fillers and no colorants ends up yellowish but maybe a possibility for you still.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #7

Thanks for your comments. I am about to a point that I can try an experiment.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

I don't know whether to laugh cry or quiver in fear, But a couple of thoughts would be,

1: Maybe the Aliens have a better technology?

2: Get up and take a walk every few hours or days.

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #9

Gary, on the planet Rolacoy they do not have a lot of metal so their technology developed along the lines of genetically altering primarily bugs to "grow" their early transportation. As their race developed an interest in space it was only natural that they would use bugs for the shells of their spacecraft. The alien has assisted me in "growing the spider like creature for my space scuttle. When we moved from our country home to town we had to park the spaceship on the back side of the Moon. I need the "spider/shuttle? to get back and forth to the spaceship. I have made the trip back and forth sever times but it will be much better once I can inclose the craft. lol

You must read the whole story sometime.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #10

I don't know if I am doing this right.

http://www.waskomtexas.com/spaceship/visit.html

Advertisement