Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
One Room at a time

Share |

Mold starting in linen closet

I hope I can explain this adequately.

I have a 4 level backsplit in Ontario, Canada (so it's very cold this time of year!)

In the upper level there is a bathroom. The east wall has an attic behind it. Because it is at the edge of the split,the bottom half of the wall is the upper part of the wall of the front of the house, and the upper half of the wall is open space of attic (does that make sense?) So basically the upper part of the wall is an outside wall into the attic. (see the quick drawing attached)

This attic area is VERY difficult to get to. It is only about 2 and a half feet wide, and goes anywhere from 3 feet to 8 feet (it is above the stairwell going to the basement from the first level). At the far end of it there is a closet opening into the hall.

The walls of this bathroom were not insulated AT ALL. This fall, I was into the attic, and insulated all of the walls, and the closet wall as best I could (again VERY tight area).

The closet now has moisture building up, and there is mold starting to grow. I am out of ideas on how to insulate the area. The closet is not studded, it is basically particle board nailed together at the top and bottom. I basically wrapped the boards with insuallation as best I could, and used a can of spray foam along the seams that I could reach.

I don't know what else to do. ....I need to make it so that the warm air isn't meeting cold, and creating moisture.....HELP!!!

Zee
Attached Images

Zee 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #2

Where is the mold growing? Top, middle or bottom? Is it concentrated at the corners?

Either the closet walls are still too cold, or you may have unwanted air flow behind the closet.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...re-topics/mold

Last edited by operagost; 01-24-2011 at 11:45 AM.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
One Room at a time

Thanks for the reply.

The mold is at the top and bottom, on opposite sides of the closet!!!

Yes the walls are still too cold, and in fact there may be air flow behind as well.....I am looking for a suggestion as to how I can effectively insulate the area....I can't get into that attic space easily....

The more I have thought about it, I think I am going to tear out the closet from the hall side, and stud the closet properly and add the proper insulation to the stud cavities instead of the crap was there. The insulation I added in the fall has definitely helped the drafts coming from that area, but it apparently didn't do well enough to stop air flow completely.

Last edited by Zee 32; 01-24-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Zee 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee 32 View Post
The more I have thought about it, I think I am going to tear out the closet from the hall side, and stud the closet properly and add the proper insulation to the stud cavities instead of the crap was there. The insulation I added in the fall has definitely helped the drafts coming from that area, but it apparently didn't do well enough to stop air flow completely.
You answered your own question.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

I concur.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote