Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #1

Share |

Mold Stank: Help!

Hi All,

Recently, I killed mold on the drywall in my basement and then took out all of the drywall. It was not a HAZMAT amount of mold, but enough that I needed to kill it, and I did, with bleach. That was several days ago, but now the mold smell is worse than it was, by far, and I can't seem to get rid of it. It's like I opened a Pandora's box of stank. What I've tried so far:

• baking soda
  • charcoal
  • fans sucking out the air in the windows
My sister says to use volcanic rock, but I haven't gone that route yet.

Please advise.

overlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #2

I used this stuff to get rid of cat urine smell from a lazy tenant. Worked well.

http://www.scoe10x.com/Scripts/SCOE1...Eliminator.asp

Your problem may have to do with more rotten drywall or rotten something somewhere.

Good luck!!

sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

If you tore out the offending drywall, then the mold and any odor associated with it should have left too. Sounds like you have some more investigating to do. Did you install new drywall over wet areas without drying things out? Did any of the framing behind the drywall have mold on it? What was the source of the moisture that caused the mold? Have you corrected the moisture issue?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Just fyi... When we bought our house ( it was in foreclosure and had some mold issues in the basement ) our inspector said that he had gone to a couple of mold seminars and they said that bleach does not kill mold.
rrickeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

He went to the wrong seminars, or didn't understand the chemistry. Or the seminars were sponsored by somebody trying to sell their own magic mold killing material.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
our inspector said that he had gone to a couple of mold seminars and they said that bleach does not kill mold.
THAT is just plain nonsense. THAT is a story being circulated by companies that sell mold-abatement products.

Chlorine bleach will in fact kill mold and in a matter of minutes. It may or may not totally eradicate mold the first time around, just depends on the real conditions at the site. That inspector probably read True Detective Magazine and believes everything he reads there also. When does he say the next alien space ship will land in Las Vegas?

Look up a product named "Micro-ban" if you want a first class moldicide, mildewcide, sanitizer that works.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) is one of the few materials that will not only kill mold organisms, but will destroy the glucan bonds that make up the mold cells and break them down into their component protiens. That means that the former mold bodies are dismembered to the extent that they are no longer even considered allergens. And it will do it in concentrations as low as 2.5%.

Thank You Bud
Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Tileguy

Well I didn't know all of that.

I do know that I have been killing mold with chlorine bleach for more than forty years and with great success.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, odor