Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Mold spore counts and mold remediation

I just received my air sample report and found the mold spore counts(Penicillium/Aspergillus types) in my living room wall was very high(110,000 per m3) comparing to outdoor mold spore counts(430 per m3). We don't see any visible mold growth sign, though. Indoor air test is also normal. The only thing I saw is that the outside wall is water stained (not seraiouly). I'm woandering if it is possible that the mold spore measurement, 110,000 per m3, is not accurate? Do I need to do any mold remediation?

Peter

Peter Cumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cumming View Post
Do I need to do any mold remediation?
There is no way for anyone on the internet to know what you need.

Why did you have the test done?

What caused the water stains, and is that problem fixed?

What is going on inside that wall?

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

you said that the counts INSIDE the wall were 110,000/m3 vs. 430/m3 exterior, but that the air sample inside was "normal". What was the spore count in the living space? What was the spore count at a remote indoor location? Was there only one exterior sample? 430 is very low for an exterior sample. 110,000 is extremely high unless the sample was taken directly over a mold colony. Was air sampling the only test method? How was the sample taken inside the wall? Was there only one sample taken from the wall? Was there a particular reason for sampling? Is the company that took the samples familiar with mold sampling? Were the samples taken while the structure was occupied?
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

We just got a lot of rains here in Texas. Anybody know of a good detection kit for black mold?
beckya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Yep. Your nose and your eyes. Forget those "Deadly Black Mold" test kits at the box store. They invariably find mold. Mold spores are everywhere. It's a guarantee that the last breath you took, you inhaled a number of them. If you get a test kit and send it in, what will it tell you when you get the results? You have no comparison to tell you if spore counts are high, low or whatever. The only reasonable way to test for mold is to have it done professionally. Numerous air samples from different locations including at least one taken outside for comparison of spore counts, and perhaps some contact swabs in suspected areas. In addition, "Black" mold is typically associated with Stachybotrys, but there are a whole host of other mold species that are common in damp buildings including various strains of pennecillium and aspergillus. Even if you beleive you actually have a mold problem, don't waste your money on a do-it-yourself test kit.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote