Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Share |

Mold in my brand new house !

Hi
I"m a new member here, so thank you for your time upfront!

We bought a house that was built on spec 2 months ago, and while I was installing some wiring in the basement, I pulled off a piece of insulation on the pony wall (the short wall above the foundation and the bottom floor, where the floor joists attach) and noticed what I thought was surface mold behind it. (nothing crazy but defiantly mold) After debating on it, I called in a company who deals with this type of thing and they felt it was mold, and indicated that the lack of vapor barrier over the insulation would have caused the condensation over the winter (while the house was being finished).

Now this being a brand new home, with a Lux warrenty we called up the builder and he agreed to look at it. He brought the subcontractor who would have installed the insulation and they tried to convince me that it wasn't mold. In the end they agreed to install the vapor barrier but I told them I would get back to them as I wanted to check on what to do about the mold.

I decided to clean this mold myself as there wasn't much on the osb so I pulled down all the insulation and sprayed the osb with diluted bleach water and I attempted to clean off the surface mold...but without any great success.

My question is now do I spray it again, put up the insulation after it dries, have them vapor barrier it and forget it? Or should I have more done to remove the mold from the OSB?

Thanks again for reading this and your answers.

dumbguy5689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #2

I would have had it tested. If it wasn't removed with the bleach, it might not be mold.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbguy5689 View Post
Hi
I"m a new member here, so thank you for your time upfront!

We bought a house that was built on spec 2 months ago, and while I was installing some wiring in the basement, I pulled off a piece of insulation on the pony wall (the short wall above the foundation and the bottom floor, where the floor joists attach) and noticed what I thought was surface mold behind it. (nothing crazy but defiantly mold) After debating on it, I called in a company who deals with this type of thing and they felt it was mold, and indicated that the lack of vapor barrier over the insulation would have caused the condensation over the winter (while the house was being finished).

Now this being a brand new home, with a Lux warrenty we called up the builder and he agreed to look at it. He brought the subcontractor who would have installed the insulation and they tried to convince me that it wasn't mold. In the end they agreed to install the vapor barrier but I told them I would get back to them as I wanted to check on what to do about the mold.

I decided to clean this mold myself as there wasn't much on the osb so I pulled down all the insulation and sprayed the osb with diluted bleach water and I attempted to clean off the surface mold...but without any great success.

My question is now do I spray it again, put up the insulation after it dries, have them vapor barrier it and forget it? Or should I have more done to remove the mold from the OSB?

Thanks again for reading this and your answers.
The best thing for you to do is call the EXPERTS on mold. You may have the dam chinese dry wall installed in the home. Have this Check out very careful . Here in florida the houses that have this installed have to have all the dry wall taken out. Now if no warrenty. This can be very expense. Some walk away from the house. Also if you found some do you know if their maybe some in other place's . Get it check out. good luck
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #4

Depending on where you are, a vapor barrier may be the wrong thing to do. You surely need an air barrier, but not necessarily a vapor barrier. VB's can cause condensation problems from vapor driven from the outside. I would check that out first, and then see about a good air barrier. Watch your indoor humidity, too, and try to keep it between 30 and 45% RH.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote