Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Share |

Mold Inspection

We have found some mold in our basement. Called a guy who looks to be qualified to find the problem. How can I tell if the guy is shooting me straight? He has no complaints on the BBB and is listed on Angies List. Any other questions that I need to be asking?

Thanks
V6Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #2

Mold Inspection

Whenever I've had to deal in these situations, I made certain that they are being paid for their expertise, and not providing info in the hopes of 'getting the job'. Meaning I pay them for the test(s), and then move on to finding the proper people to remedy the problem.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Mold Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
Whenever I've had to deal in these situations, I made certain that they are being paid for their expertise, and not providing info in the hopes of 'getting the job'. Meaning I pay them for the test(s), and then move on to finding the proper people to remedy the problem.
Thanks. That was my feeling. I can gut the dry wall and redo it. I need someone to tell my where the leak is. I would like to have and keep my house in a state of readiness to be sold. Should I want to sell it.
V6Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
gravity always wins

Mold Inspection

He should have some sort of certification from a credible source. Not just a certificate he printed from an internet source. He should have a few different types of moisture meters, both surface contact and probing type. He should have a sling psychrometer (or a reliable electronic alternative) to measure relative humidity. He should be able to explain the process for air sampling and have a relationship with a lab to process samples. He should have equipment to take samples via air pump and flat plates. Depending on the extent of the problem, he should recommend samples be taken in several locations, INCLUDING ONE OUTSIDE.
That said, he should be able to provide the source of the moisture, but I'm not certain that a mold inspector will tell you how to solve a water intrusion issue. That would depend on how the moisture is presenting itself.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote