Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

Share |

Mold inside a wall

I am new to this forum and am loving it.

I have an upper floor bathroom directly above a bacement bathroom. The upper bathroom toilet developed a very slow leak that was not discovered for several months until an over sized closet's rug next to the downstairs bathroom became soaked. Toilet is fixed. No more evidence of any leaking at all.

I ripped up the carpet and cleaned the concrete floor. Roomate started smelling odd odor, I can't smell anything. On the closet side of the wall, between closet and bathroom, there is a 8" disc for accessing pipes inside the wall. I removed disc and reached in. The floor and wood are damp. We have placed a fan against the hole to air it out and dry it out.

She is concerned about mold. Is there a product, once it is dryed out, that can be sprayed in through the disc hole, like fogging, that can take care of any mold and smell?

SheerLuckHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Mold inside a wall

Only way to tell that there is mold spores in the air, is to have a air test done. As for on the surface, again a test needs to be done. As for cleaning, Warm Soapy water does fine.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

Mold inside a wall

Bleach will kill or stop the mold from growing but even the dead mold can cause health issues. To be safe the mold should also be removed or encapsulated both would require removing the drywall for access. The CDC had stated that less than 5% of the population would have serious side effects but is not healthy for anyone especially the young, old or immune suppressed like aids patients. You have stopped the water which is the first step. Mold grows exponentially which means 2 spores become 4 and 4 becomes 8 and so on which can start in as little as 48 hours. all cellulose products like wood, paper on drywall ect are susceptible to mold. Good luck
carpsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

Mold inside a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheerLuckHolmes View Post
I am new to this forum and am loving it.

I have an upper floor bathroom directly above a bacement bathroom. The upper bathroom toilet developed a very slow leak that was not discovered for several months until an over sized closet's rug next to the downstairs bathroom became soaked. Toilet is fixed. No more evidence of any leaking at all.

I ripped up the carpet and cleaned the concrete floor. Roomate started smelling odd odor, I can't smell anything. On the closet side of the wall, between closet and bathroom, there is a 8" disc for accessing pipes inside the wall. I removed disc and reached in. The floor and wood are damp. We have placed a fan against the hole to air it out and dry it out.

She is concerned about mold. Is there a product, once it is dryed out, that can be sprayed in through the disc hole, like fogging, that can take care of any mold and smell?
I'd open the space to remove all the effected drywall.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Mold inside a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Only way to tell that there is mold spores in the air, is to have a air test done.
Not true. I can tell you right now that there are mold spores.

How can I be so sure? Because it's not an industrial clean room. There are mold spores everywhere. It's just a fact of life on earth. What matters isn't if there's mold spores, or even what the concentration of said spore are. What matters is the relative concentrations of spore inside to outside the house.

As far as the original question, once it's dried out, the mold in the wall (assuming that some is growing) will go dormant. You won't smell it any more at that point. It will still be there. As long as y'all aren't allergic to mold, and provided that it isn't an exceedingly rare toxic mold, then there won't be a problem. If you are, or it is, then the only way to get rid of it is to tear out the wall.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Mold inside a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Not true. I can tell you right now that there are mold spores.

How can I be so sure? Because it's not an industrial clean room. There are mold spores everywhere. It's just a fact of life on earth. What matters isn't if there's mold spores, or even what the concentration of said spore are. What matters is the relative concentrations of spore inside to outside the house.

As far as the original question, once it's dried out, the mold in the wall (assuming that some is growing) will go dormant. You won't smell it any more at that point. It will still be there. As long as y'all aren't allergic to mold, and provided that it isn't an exceedingly rare toxic mold, then there won't be a problem. If you are, or it is, then the only way to get rid of it is to tear out the wall.
Right. Good points, pyper. hey, are you a scientist? Mold will never go away.......oh, bleach is not always the best mold killer. Benzalkonium chloride, or dibenzylalkyl ammonium chlorides......same stuff in Formula 409.....LOL
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Tileguy

Mold inside a wall

Quote:
Is there a product, once it is dryed out, that can be sprayed in through the disc hole, like fogging, that can take care of any mold and smell?
Yes.

Microban.
Google: Jon-Don Chemicals, it's about $30 per gallon but well worth the cost.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Mold inside a wall

First of all. If you can smell it, it has probably got mold growing in it. (What else would you be smelling? Think about it)
Second, an air sample test IS effective in discovering mold. Samples are taken indoors in various locations as well as outdoors. A comparison of all readings will show higher than normal levels of spores in an area where active mold is present. All readings are compared to outdoor samples since you can never expect to achieve lower spore counts than the outdoor air.
Third. Warm soapy water will remove mold from hard surfaces. It will never kill it. Did you know that many soaps contain fats that molds will actually thrive on? Bleach kills mold. Period. Cheap and effective, but use properly. No more than 10% concentration.
Fourth. Drywall is expendible. If it got wet and wasn't dried out to normal moisture content within 72 hours, it's junk. Tear it out and replace it.
Fifth. Most fogging agents have not been shown to be very effective.
Sixth. Mold will go dormant if the moisture content drops below 60% R.H. The mold hasn't died, it's gone dormant. It will reactivate with a vengeance if it gets re-wetted. In a dormant state, it will continue to spew higher than normal levels of spores and fragments of molds into the air. That may not be a problem if you are not susceptible, but if you are wondering why your eyes itch and your nose runs for no particular reason.......................

After messing with molds professionally for 20 years, this is what I've learned: There is a lot of mis-information out there. There are a lot of arm chair experts and there are a ton of companies trying to sell magic mold potion to kill Deadly Black Mold............... but I've never read an obituary that said "Died of Mold"

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote