Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Hello everybody,

I've got mold. It's in an upstairs bedroom, along the wall. I've read cautions against using bleach/water and detergent/water solutions, so is there any other way to get rid of it? I'm thinking that I may have to call in the professionals, but would love to save the money (hence the DIY forum ).

Thanks!

MoldyMoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Tileguy

Mold Damage, Need Help!

The only people online that caution against using bleach are the zealots that have a commercial moldicide to sell to you or have a vested interest in one of those products.

Killing the mold in the next thirty minutes is do-able but you must get to the source of the problem if you expect it to stay away. Bleach has been an effective eradicator of mold since bleach began. There are better products and you don't necessarily need a professional abatement contractor at this point.

More information is needed.

How long has this condition existed?
Where "along the wall" does the mold appear?
Is there snow and ice on the roof?
Are the walls painted or wallpapered or what?
Are there any cracks appearing in the wallboard?
Is the effected wall an exterior wall?
If so...what is the exterior covered with?

Let's start there!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Properly used, bleach will kill practically every microscopic organism in the world. What's more bleach will disolve and break molds down into their component parts. Provide the info that Bud lists, and folks on here will try to help you out.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #4

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Bleach is one chemical method of eradicating mould, but those who know also know that bleach is not as effective as categorically stated above in every situation; it's a good bet, but sometimes other methods are called for. Depends.

Apart from responding to the above questions about the source of the mould, the size of the affected area really dictates whether or not a mould remediation company should be called in. It sounds like you don't need one - as the area in question is limited to one wall in one room - but had this been on a larger scale, then maybe the professionals would come in handy.

If it turns out to be less than 10 sgft in overall size, then bleach and/or detergents and/or mould products would clean it up. That being done, your next task is to see about making sure it doesn't happen again by for example, treating the area chemically, increasing the ventilation, decreasing the relative humidity in there, finding the source of the humidity and fixing that...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Chicago, IL

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Active mold growth is a symptom of an underlying moisture problem, and unless you correct the underlying problem, the mold will return.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #6

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I couldn't find my own post lol. I'll try the bleach stuff, but I still have to take care of the underlying moisture problem. I've been looking for it and haven't found anything. Maybe I need to call in a company to find and take care of that problem. I would hate to waste the money, but I just can't find the source of the problem. I did run across Indoor Restore - indoorrestore.com - and they had very reasonable prices. I'll look into them further if I still can't find the moisture source, but in the mean time, has anyone heard anything about them, good or bad? Thanks!
MoldyMoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Tileguy

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Next time you post you have the option of having an email notification sent to you when there is activity on this thread, try using that. That way you don't have to remember where you were.

There are (two) "SUBMIT REPLY buttons below. Ignore the first button and go to the one below that one, turn on your "THREAD SUBSCRIPTION" using "instant email notification" then click the "SUBMIT REPLY" button below that.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Drywall contractor

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Even the CDC recommends the use of 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water for treating mold...
Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #9

Mold Damage, Need Help!

Perhaps, but just as many agencies of yours don't - or only prescribe bleach on hard surfaces, not on drywall...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Mold Damage, Need Help!

My experience with mold includes approximately a year of work examining houses damaged by hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Lots of mold damage, varying from relatively minor to catastrophic impact on the house. Based on extensive review of the literature, and recommendations from FEMA and CDC, my conclusion is that mold damage by material is approximately like this:

1. Drywall: Even minor mold damage should be repaired by replacing the drywall
2. Wood: Remediate by use of bleach. Surface mold damage is easily remediated, deeper mold damage means multiple treatments with bleach, but wood is rarely fatally damaged by mold.
3. Hard surfaces such as stone, brick, laminate, polyurethaned hardwood: Brush first, then treat with bleach if necessary. I never personally observed serious damage to hard surfaces from mold.

As previously noted, it is useless to repair mold damage until the source of water is eliminated. Two, always wear an OSHA approved mask while doing mold work, certain molds are very hazardous, and there is ABSOLUTELY no way to tell whether a particular mold is innocuous or dangerous by looking at it, since there are more than 100,000 species of mold, many of which look identical.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #11

Mold Damage, Need Help!

OSHA doesn't recommend bleach for the treatment of wood and doing so IMO is a short-term solution. Bleach manufacturers also have a position on the use of their product where it comes to overgeneralisations by well meaning posters.

I do replace drywall wherever I can, insurance companies love me for that but many times it's not practical. If surface is painted, maybe bleach but soap/detergent is best.

Then again, Katrina and similar situations called for extraordinary efforts and measures...not the same thing as 'regular' mould remediation.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #12

Mold Damage, Need Help!

MoldyMoldy, this last week I decided to use IndoorRestore to help me with my mold problems. I was more than impressed with them. For their price they are absolutely the best company out there. Definitely check out their warranties, certifications, etc for your peace of mind. I can't say enough good things about IndoorRestore. If you think that a DIY solution is over your abilities, use IndoorRestore.

LotsOWater is offline   Reply With Quote