DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is this mold behind my baseboard?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
We stripped the carpet and baseboards in our living room to prepare for laminate flooring and I found this black stuff in one section of the drywall where the baseboard was, by the wood piece on the side of the staircase. Does this look like mold? If so, should we take off that long decorative piece of wood that runs along the side of the stairs to check behind it? I know that the toilet overflowed badly once from the small bathroom next to the other side of the stairs, but don't know how much water or "liquid" made it out to this area and for how long. I also suspect a cat may have peed on the wall a few times, but don't know for sure since the place was rented out for ten years. The picture shows a close up of the black stuff. We haven't pulled the baseboards right next to the bathroom yet so I'm thinking of doing that to see if there is anything lurking behind them. Any suggestions or wisdom on this situation is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.