Mold Behind Insulation - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

mold behind insulation

hi guys, i have a little question. i had one wall unfinished with just insulation and no vapourbarrier for most of the winter. just now i want to finish the wall up and notice balck mold behind the insulation. i checked behind another wall that had the vapour barrier and no mold. this is because of the vb not being up and condensation happening right?? what should i do before closing up the wall now?

Advertisement

boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

mold behind insulation

You need to kill the mold and, possibly, replace the damaged insulation if you cannot remove the mold from it. Make sure the area is dry before adding the vapor barrior and closing up the wall. A mixture of bleach and water works well on hard surfaces for killing the mold, but I don't think it would work on the insulation.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,096

mold behind insulation

Exactly as Majakdragon said. Use only a 10% beach solution, otherwise it's not as effective.

Very good reading: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1 Be safe, GBAR
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote