Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #1

Share |

Moisture on drywall and window sill

Hi Everyone,

It's my first post and I'm not sure if this is the right topic or not.

I have been having a moisture problem around one of my windows. It is on the front of my single-story house. The drywall on the bottom corner of the window is somwhat soft. The window sill is wood and also has moisture in the same corner.

We've had a lot of rain in Michigan lately, so I thought yesterday would be a good time to go in the attic and check if the moisture was coming from the roof which was my first assumption. I gave everything as good an inspection as I could up there, and could find no signs of moisture anywhere in the attic. The roof looked and felt dry, no water staining, mold, wet insulation, etc.

The roof overhangs the window by maybe 16 inches and there is a gutter. I've kept the gutter clear thinking maybe it was some kind of overflow problem. This does not seem to be the case.

About a year ago I also noticed a previous owner had caulked the drain on the outside of the window shut. I cut it open at the time and a good deal of water poured out. Now this was long enough ago that I would assume any water problem related to that would be fixed.

Also, the brick around the problem window on the outside of the house gets very wet during rain, and it is noticeably darker than the rest of the brick on the house.

Any ideas on where/what my problem may be? I could probably post photos later. I'm a newish homeowner so advice is appreciated!
redwings83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

You are going to have to remove the drywall to find out where it is leaking. My bet is improperly installed and flashed windows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You are going to have to remove the drywall to find out where it is leaking. My bet is improperly installed and flashed windows.
I had already resigned myself to that fate. Do you think that could cause excess moisture on the brick on the outside of the house too?
redwings83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

What taking off the drywall, no. How far up does the brick go on that side of the house? Post pictures both interior and exterior.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Household Handyman

You just gave a good clue as to what the problem may be: "Also, the brick around the problem window on the outside of the house gets very wet during rain>." Most likely you have a leak on the outside of the window allowing rain water to leach in between the exterior wall and the inside drywall. Water that leaches into a cavity such as this will follow any horizontal board (if any present) and wind up on the inside surface of the drywall. I've seen this too many times. I also agree you will have to remove some drywall around the window and find the source and path of this water intrusion.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote