Modifying Insulated Fiberglass Door - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,252

modifying insulated fiberglass door

This is a door that leads out to the bulkhead cellar doors, which is not weather stripped. I want to replace existing wood/glass 1 3/8 door with fiberglass (will not rust), but the height is not full door height.
Can I cut fiberglass doors? Is it same as hollow core? If available, I'd just get a slab, cut from the top and keep the bottom weatherstripping/threshold. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,452

They have wood blocks in the top any bottom, but I think it would just be easier to order it pre-hung and custom sized.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
carpdad (02-06-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 221

I did exactly this about one year ago, only I used a steel door rather than fiberglass (I looked for fiberglass, but had a really hard time finding a flush fiberglass door). In my case I cut it down to about 60" (don't remember the exact measurement). I cut it from the top as you indicate. The center was filled with styrofoam and I used an old chisel to create a channel to replace the wooden block on the top that I cut off. My door was prehung, and disabled and shortened the jambs and reassembled them. I was a little nervous about how it would work, but it all went very straightforwardly.

I looked into ordering one custom sized, and maybe I didn't know the right places to look, but I honestly would have built a door from scratch before paying the prices I was given. I suspect I could have gotten much more reasonable prices if I wanted a door closer to normal height.
LanterDan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LanterDan For This Useful Post:
carpdad (02-06-2016)