Mobile Home Subfloor - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

mobile home subfloor

I am installing slate flooring on areas of my home. The joists are 2x10 with 16" centers. Existing subfloor is 5/8 OSB. I will add 3/4" plywood. Will this be sufficient? Thnx

Advertisement

mrbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

mobile home subfloor

That should be more than suffient except you will still need to lay down some hardi board in order for the put to adhere properly.

Advertisement

daniel.redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

mobile home subfloor

Calculate your deflection first courtesy of the John Bridge forum: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl. And see if the slate tile manufacturer has any further requirements. Good luck!
littlecleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

mobile home subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbig View Post
I am installing slate flooring on areas of my home. The joists are 2x10 with 16" centers. Existing subfloor is 5/8 OSB. I will add 3/4" plywood. Will this be sufficient? Thnx
Slate(stone) requires a more dimensionally stable substrate then ceramic tile. I don't know how you would calculate the bounce rate going down the road.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

mobile home subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbig View Post
Hey mrbig, my name is George and I work for a Chicago area Home Depot. In my opinion you are going to big with that CDX. I would recommend staggering 5/8 Durock cement board with some construction adhesive right over 5/8 OSB, unless there is damage on your existing subfloor. I think 5/8 cement board would be an ideal subfloor for the slate tiles, but plywood is just too much. Hope that helps.

I’m a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet

What do you say we do a little clicking before we sand, or paint, or saw.
*Do not link to your store*

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 10-19-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: removed link
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelToes For This Useful Post:
Tangelo (10-25-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

mobile home subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelToes View Post
Hey mrbig, my name is George and I work for a Chicago area Home Depot. In my opinion you are going to big with that CDX. I would recommend staggering 5/8 Durock cement board with some construction adhesive right over 5/8 OSB, unless there is damage on your existing subfloor. I think 5/8 cement board would be an ideal subfloor for the slate tiles, but plywood is just too much. Hope that helps.

Im a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet

What do you say we do a little clicking before we sand, or paint, or saw. Get the answers youre looking for at http://community.homedepot.com
That sure explains the advice given.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 42

mobile home subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelToes View Post

Im a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet

What do you say we do a little clicking before we sand, or paint, or saw. Get the answers youre looking for at http://community.homedepot.com
This has got to be a joke right?
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

mobile home subfloor

Proper etiquitte dictates that Thou Shall Not Offend The Forum Admins.

Your invitation has been ignored at this location. A bit of discretion is in order...
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

mobile home subfloor

Follow the advice given about the JohnBridge forum and you can't go wrong. I live in a newer mobile home and got lots of info and helf from the forum. Simply go to the forum and see what your deflection rating is to be safe.

Advertisement

MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote