Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mismatch Tiles

all,
We have tile in kitchen and foyer in our home. We have carpet in living room, dining and study - all are on the same floor as kitchen and foyer.
We are planning to replace carpet with tile, but can not find the excat same tile as kitchen. Is it o.k to use slightly differnt tile and use small transition tiles, where both the mismatch tiles meet.
Will this affect resale of the house?
I would appreciate your response.

asdfgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

Mismatch Tiles

Yes, you can do it as you plan. But I question your want or need of installing tile in the living and dining rooms. When you plan to sell, buyer's will be expecting carpet or hardwood flooring and tile may be a turnoff. I think it depends also on how the house is designed and whether or not tile in these rooms will blend in. The tile also may feel cool underfoot as many people like to take off their shoes. I have vinyl tile in my kitchen and used two lengths of marble laid end to end as transition pieces between that and the dining room which has a carpet. Try to find a decorator forum for some ideas and also check with a real estate agent for popularity of your idea to buyers.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Tile Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Mismatch Tiles

I wish I took pictures!! I just did a house last week where I did almost exactly what you're talking about, but the different tiles met at the doorway between the kitchen and mudroom. In the Kitchen, I used a 13x13 diagonal, and in the mudroom a square set 12x12. What I did as a transition was to do a band across the doorway of diamonds and triangles the same as shown in the pic below, and it worked fine: