Minor Mirror Repair - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2005, 01:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Minor mirror repair

We're painting/upgrading all our bathrooms. They've all got these large (42X56) mirrors, that we'd like to reuse. However, they've got a few scratches on the back where the silvering has come off leaving dark spots. Is there any kind of silvering touch-up that we can use to salvage these otherwise fine mirrors?

Advertisement

sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Minor mirror repair

You are walking a fine line here. The process is called re-silvering and is expensive. I have only done this to old, period mirrors. Unless the glass is special in some way, a new mirror would be your best way out.

Advertisement

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Minor mirror repair

We're talking really small scratches here. Definitely not worth re-slivering the whole thing. I figure if there were some way to just paint/touch up silver over the scratch, it wouldn't be obvious. Is re-silvering the whole thing the only way?
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Contractor

Minor mirror repair

I've heard of 'touch-up' paints. Also heard that they only lasted long enough to sell the house.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 548

Minor mirror repair

This is just a brainstorm...might not work at all....but what about some of that spray on chrome (from the back, obviously :D )? Any thoughts on that. I know it's just paint really, but it's fairly reflective, might work for really small scratches.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
Contractor

Minor mirror repair

This subject came up on another site and involed antiques. If you Google re-silvering or mirror restoration, you will find that this is a pretty complex operation. Chrome spray paint could ruin the entire mirror.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 548

Minor mirror repair

Good 'nuf...I'll remember not to try that then
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
2pyrs

Rewards Points: 10

Minor mirror repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock
We're painting/upgrading all our bathrooms. They've all got these large (42X56) mirrors, that we'd like to reuse. However, they've got a few scratches on the back where the silvering has come off leaving dark spots. Is there any kind of silvering touch-up that we can use to salvage these otherwise fine mirrors?

New here but hope I can help and learn a few tricks.
What have I done :A little this and a lot of that. Added 12x24 room on back of house and all most done with 22x24 second floor, pluming wiring drywall 20 years under my belt and still learning.

I don't know where the scratches are but if not where they would be a problem you might want to
consider etching kit from a craft store. I did one on my closet door and it looks nice but it was around the edges.
2pyrs

Advertisement

2pyrs is offline   Reply With Quote