DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Minor basement leak

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  epson 
#1 ·
Getting some water at baseboard of basement wall. Only about a 8 ft section but nowhere else. Just started this past year. Very wet year. Any ideas on how to proceed?

#2 ·
Outside drainage first; gutters and down spouts, sloped earth, trench, whatever is out there. Do you have an exceptionally high water table in your area? You'll very possibly have to dig it out, dry and clean the block (? wood?) wall and waterproof it. Do the easy stuff first.

#3 ·
The walls are cinder block and the basement is finished. There is a window off to the side of where the leakage is. Is it possible that is where the seepage is? Should I take off the drywall for that whole section and try to see where the seepage is? We bought this house 9yrs ago and never had this problem. All of the property slopes away from the house. We also had a record rainfall this year. I live in north eastern ohio.

#4 ·
There is a window off to the side of where the leakage is.
Is it possible that is where the seepage is?
We also had a record rainfall this year.
As jklingel said... start OUTSIDE:
rain gutters, downspouts & extensions, grading at foundation, etc.
and the "drywell" at the window are the prime suspects.

Should I take off the drywall for that whole section...
If it's damaged then take it off no matter what (you don't want to breed mold)... and sure, poke around in there to see what's what. But the problem and solution is probably limited to the outside.

hth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.