Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Microwave door replacement?

I have broken handle on my Samsung SMH7185STG, so I bought another one (same model) nonworking but has good door & handle. I don't think the door has any electronic displays or wiring.
Is it easier to replace the whole door or just the broken handle?

1-If handle, how to get the back off the door to access handle screws? Gently pry around seem with thin putty knife???

2-If door, how to remove the door off the hinges so can swap the 'good'
door onto my microwave? I haven't yet tried to loosen the screws that are visible.

Lloyd_glbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #2

You should never take a microwave door off or open it up. In fact, there is virtually no work you can or should do on a microwave. They are carefully sealed to prevent you from microwaving yourself when you cook. They are also designed so they are hard to open up to discourge people from doing so. You also need the special tool to measure the amount of radiation it's emitting if you're going to work on them.

The good news is that microwaves are cheap.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
You should never take a microwave door off or open it up. In fact, there is virtually no work you can or should do on a microwave. They are carefully sealed to prevent you from microwaving yourself when you cook. They are also designed so they are hard to open up to discourge people from doing so. You also need the special tool to measure the amount of radiation it's emitting if you're going to work on them.

The good news is that microwaves are cheap.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. His model retails for around $279 but still cheaper than the injuries that can result from a bad fix.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #4

No, I am not an applicance repair person. I don't intend to go 'into' the microwave. All I want to do is replace the door. Isn't that what a repair person would do? There is a screw at the bottom outside of the door, by the lower hinge. If loosening it will enable me to slide the bracket aside & lower the door off a top side hinge, reversing the strategy by installing the removed door on the other microwave might work, right?

I only have $30 + 6 gal of gas in this project thus far. Replacing the whole thing + $279 cost is way too much. We'll just live with the broken door handle.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it but I need more opinions.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
bbo

have you tried repairclinic.com? I tried your model number and didn't get an exact match. you can also email them repair questions.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

I found a video on u-tube. I'll post url on Monday if it works. That's the soonest I can get back to this.

Tags
samsung handle