Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Share |

Metal Studs

I moved to Florida almost a year ago, and let's say I'm having an extremely hard time hanging things from mirrors to a 50" TV due to metal studs.

It seems like if I don't hit a metal stud, nothing is going to hang. For example, my friend and I went to hang a framed mirror which probably weighed 20lbs and we used 2 thin nails, once we got the frame on the nails, it started to fall, the nails looked like they were just ripping down the dry wall.

So my question is, am I going to have to drill into these medal studs to hang items like a floating shelf from Ikea? And as for the mirror, were my nails to thin or is my 2012 home drywall cheap?

Dinggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Metal Studs

Just nails would never work with that much weight on any wall. You need hollow wall anchors or toggles.
When attaching something to metal studs you need fine thread drywall screws.
I'd never trust hanging a flat screen on just drywall or metal studs.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Pro

Metal Studs

I wouldn't have any problem putting a big screen on metal studs - new flat screens are pretty light, anyway.

These things - ez-toggles I think they're called, available in Home Depot and Lowes - are my current favorites for hanging stuff on drywall.

And shelves, yes, you need to hit the studs.
Attached Images

CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Metal Studs

My friend and I tried mounting his 42" Plasma with ez-toggles and basically I put 9 holes in my wall before we just screwed in a board to the wall, to keep the mount from ripping out of the wall. I could have easily been the mount due to having all the weight in the middle, picture below:

But for everything else like the Ikea floating shelves, I'll need to use toggles as well? Makes me not want to decorate my house.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Pro

Metal Studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinggus View Post
My friend and I tried mounting his 42" Plasma with ez-toggles and basically I put 9 holes in my wall before we just screwed in a board to the wall, to keep the mount from ripping out of the wall. I could have easily been the mount due to having all the weight in the middle, picture below:

But for everything else like the Ikea floating shelves, I'll need to use toggles as well? Makes me not want to decorate my house.
I'm sorry the toggles didn't work for the TV. Did you have the toggles out at the end of the arms? I've had great luck with them.

As for shelves - you will need to hit the studs, usually not using toggles.

- Bob
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #6

Metal Studs

The arms are for the TV. The other side is the wall mount.

That mount is supposed to stud mount or anchor into masonry. They tell you not to mount it on drywall only.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #7

Metal Studs

measure out 16" left or right from walls corners use a finishing nail to feel the stud once you catch one it should be every 16" center to center on the studs.if your garage is still just sheet rock see the spackles lines those are the studs
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Metal Studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
The arms are for the TV. The other side is the wall mount.

That mount is supposed to stud mount or anchor into masonry. They tell you not to mount it on drywall only.
I assumed a toggle can hold the TV up since it stated one toggle holds $75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
measure out 16" left or right from walls corners use a finishing nail to feel the stud once you catch one it should be every 16" center to center on the studs.if your garage is still just sheet rock see the spackles lines those are the studs
Wife hung up one of the Ikea shelves, sad she's more handy than I am, haha. The garage is all done.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
custom user

Metal Studs

You have more faith in drywall than I do. The anchor might support the weight but what about what it's anchored to? You have a lot of weight in a concentrated area. It shouldn't be that hard to find studs, especially metal ones. I use a tiny drill bit to confirm that I have something solid, then use the right sized bit for the lag.

JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

Metal Studs

From what I've read, it would be difficult to mount your TV bracket directly to a metal stud and it looks like you would be relying on a single stud for that mount. Metal studs are not know for their holding power when it come to wall hangings. Your best bet would be to cut a hole into your drywall to mount a 2x6 between two studs. Then patch the wall with a piece of drywall and tape. Then attach the TV mount to the 2x6.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Household Handyman

Metal Studs

Think of it this way: When you screw a wood screw into a piece of wood you will have the holding power of the depth that the screw goes into the wood. When you screw a "sheet metal" screw, which is for metal studs and not fine threaded drywall screws, you only have the holding power of the thickness of the metal stud. As best I remember the residential metal studs are .040" in thickness. There is a lot of difference in the holding power there. Drywall screws, whether fine or coarse, are not made to be used with metal anything. There is a big difference in the tinsel strength between these two fasteners. For hanging something from a metal stud I would consider drilling a hole through the drywall and metal stud in which to insert some type of "toggle bolt" style fastener, something that will spread out when tightened. The TV mount you have pictured has a rather small base to be mounted to a wall. This give you very little area for the weight of the TV and mount to be supported. I have installed many TV wall mounts in my business and I always suggest to the homeowner to obtain one of the TV mounts that will spread a bit over the 16" stud spacing to gain more support.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #12

Metal Studs

My 70" is mounted, had professionals come do that which the studs are spread out. We ended up mounting my buddies TV, took awhile because his wall mount in the picture I posted isn't spread out which put all the weight of the TV in the center.

Now as for floating shelves, my wife installed one in the living room and she more handy than I am, she hit two studs and it looks good.