Metal Roof On Existing Structure - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 95

Metal Roof on Existing Structure

My house is an old, two story cape with a couple of additions and many hips and valleys. Conventional shingles at this point. Here in Maine winter snow and ice are constant winter problems and at 62 I don't enjoy climbing ladders and shoveling snow like I once did.
I get green with envy watching the snow slide off of metal roofs and see this as a possible solution for me sometime in the next year or two.
DEFINITELY NOT something I'd do myself, but I want to learn as much as I can about various systems before I begin looking for a product and contractor. I assume that products will range from cheap and worthless to needlessly extravagant and expensive. Any advice to help in my education will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Places to gain general information; products and practices to avoid, etc.
Thanks,
Rob

Advertisement

RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Places to gain general information; products and practices to avoid, etc.
Ayuh,... Google Rob....

In my mind, a cheap, but well installed steel roof is Miles ahead of a shingled roof...

I think a screw down steel ribbed roof is pretty much the low-end,...
Standing seam steel is awlfully nice stuff, probably mid-level..
And, of course, standing seam Copper is the stuff I can only Dream of....

Furring it out, 'n adding insulation is somethin' else to consider...

Where abouts in the Great Pine Tree state,..??

Advertisement

Last edited by Bondo; 01-24-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Where abouts in the Great Pine Tree state,..??
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrosby257 View Post
My house is an old, two story cape with a couple of additions and many hips and valleys. Conventional shingles at this point. Here in Maine winter snow and ice are constant winter problems and at 62 I don't enjoy climbing ladders and shoveling snow like I once did.
I get green with envy watching the snow slide off of metal roofs and see this as a possible solution for me sometime in the next year or two.
DEFINITELY NOT something I'd do myself, but I want to learn as much as I can about various systems before I begin looking for a product and contractor. I assume that products will range from cheap and worthless to needlessly extravagant and expensive. Any advice to help in my education will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Places to gain general information; products and practices to avoid, etc.
Thanks,
Rob
Snow should stay on the roof, not cascade off. Snow cleats or rails should be installed on roofs with a proclivity to availanche. It can damage the house, damage the landscaping and people.
When I moved into my current house there were no snow cleats on the slate roof. That Winter a rush of snow off the second floor roof ripped off the gutter, the fascia and damaged the slate roof below.
The cleats went on as soon as the damage was repaired.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 95

Bondo,
Takes us about 30 minutes to make it to the Moxie Festival each year. North of Auburn in the land of apple orchards and Jackie Decosters egg farm.
Rob
RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Ayuh,.... I'm a Maineiac in exile over here on this sweetwater sea,....

Born, 'n raised in Old Town, Canoe City.....

The Moxie, 'n the dialect are my hold-overs from many years ago,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote