Metal Drill Bit - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal drill bit

I have from time to time had to drill a whole in a piece of steel,or any type of hard metal. I have used metal bits,and masonary bits.I have never found a bit that will work good. I usually end up using two or three bits. I also use oil. Is there a drill bit out there that will drill metal? I do not mind paying a good price for a good metal
bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

Advertisement

Spike936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Metal drill bit

I was at the wordworking show and there was a demonstration of these. It looks like they could go through anything. Pricey, though.
http://www.baddogtools.com/cat.php?id=2

Advertisement

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Metal drill bit

Masonary bits will not drills steel. But are the other bits sharp?? Dull bits or bits not properly sharpened will not drill. If they are dull and you use bits often, consider a Drill Doctor sharpener. It you don't use them that often, most new drill bits will drill steel. For drilling steel, especially hard steel like stainless, you need to use a slow speed on the drill. Running the drill fast only dulls and overheats the bit.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Metal drill bit

A drill press will also help. It will keep the bit at a constant speed and you can more easily control the pressure you are applying.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Metal drill bit

be sure you buy high speed steel bits. wood bits will not go through steel easily, if at all.
i get the ones that are titanium (gold tipped), and they go through any steel i need to drill.

DM
Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,058

Metal drill bit

I drill a LOT of steel. All types and thicknesses. Sometimes stainless.

The best steel drilling bits are ones with 8% cobalt. The split-points are easier to use in larger sizes, no pilot hole is needed. Be careful though, cobalt bits are very good with steel, but they're extremely brittle.

If you're drilling holes in steel larger than about 5/32", and you're using regular bits, consider drilling a 1/8" or so pilot hole first. You'd be amazed at how much faster the big bit will drill if there's already a small hole.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Metal drill bit

I do think everyone for the info on metal drill bits. Thank
again

Advertisement

Spike936 is offline   Reply With Quote