Maximizing Savings At Big Box Stores - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Maximizing savings at big box stores

Has anyone ever bought a gift card from plasticjungle.com? Does Lowes or HomeDepot accept these eGiftcards from these sites?

Advertisement

Michaelpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Those are just regular Home Depot or Lowe's giftcards that someone sold because they didn't want/need them. Think of plasticjungle as ebay but only for gift cards.

Advertisement

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Looks like the going price is a 7% profit (or discount if you're a buyer). Not to shabby if there is not a cost to join or for fulfillment.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

Less hassle and risk if you just sign up for the Lowes moving 10% discount. They send you an e-mail coupon for 10% off any single purchase - so it pays to get everything you need at once. They follow up with a $10 off $50 and $25 off $250 (I think) coupon in the mail.
tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
Less hassle and risk if you just sign up for the Lowes moving 10% discount. They send you an e-mail coupon for 10% off any single purchase - so it pays to get everything you need at once. They follow up with a $10 off $50 and $25 off $250 (I think) coupon in the mail.
Not sure if everyone knows this but Home depot and Lowes offers 10% discount to military active duty, retires or veterans with service connected disabilities. Active duty and retires show their ID card, veterans withe service connected disabilities need to show their VA card and it must say "service connected' under the photo.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Lowes looks at my DL and see's vet and I get 10% off.

HD on the other hand, just say I buy most of my stuff from Lowes.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

Eh if I am none of the above so I can't get those discounts

I have filled out the movers form several times in the past and somehow they never send me a coupon.

Plasticjungle says they send an egift card. I'm not sure if Homedepot would accept that or not. Maybe I should give them a call.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Remember the big box stores cut deals so they don't have to pay full property taxes like you do to cover silly things like police and fire. They keep most employees under 40 hours so they don't have to offer decent health insurance so your public health costs go up. So don't be surprised when your property or sales taxes go up to cover that generous 10 percent they are giving you off a box of screws. Unless their hands are forced to the flame, box stores give nothing back to the communities in which they operate (try to get so much as a little league shirt or pint of paint out of any one of them for a good cause). Support your local hardware stores and franchises, specialty supplier and lumber yards. Before they are all gone!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Remember the big box stores cut deals so they don't have to pay full property taxes like you do to cover silly things like police and fire. They keep most employees under 40 hours so they don't have to offer decent health insurance so your public health costs go up. So don't be surprised when your property or sales taxes go up to cover that generous 10 percent they are giving you off a box of screws. Unless their hands are forced to the flame, box stores give nothing back to the communities in which they operate (try to get so much as a little league shirt or pint of paint out of any one of them for a good cause). Support your local hardware stores and franchises, specialty supplier and lumber yards. Before they are all gone!
That has sadly already happened around here. We used to have three lumber and hardware stores. I can remember going with my dad to them when I was a child. One day the biggest of them just closed up. No one ever got an explanation they just closed up shop. A couple years later the second owners left town. The third one got blown away in the big tornado we had 3 years ago. The last one built back, but you can't afford anything there anymore.

Really sad, big boxes are my only option.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelpro View Post
Really sad, big boxes are my only option.
It is sad. I hope others catch on. The sub-standard stuff they sell is bad enough already. When they are all that is left they will be able to sucker us into whatever they decide to offer and at whatever price point.

WalMart was held out of the City limits here but, kicking and screaming, has made it now. No tax deals. They did have to concede to wage and insurance standards though. Although Illinois sees to medically insuring kids so they are off the hook on that. I don't think they have to offer coverage to spouses. They killed off most of the little stores in the neighborhoods in which they moved almost instantly.

Lowe's and HD have major presence here and Menard's to a point. There are still great little hardware stores managing to hang in for now. Part of that is because in urban environments, it is a big deal to get to huge places as lots of people do not have vehicles or leave them parked most of the time.

Last edited by user1007; 03-15-2012 at 10:13 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
It is sad. I hope others catch on. The sub-standard stuff they sell is bad enough already. When they are all that is left they will be able to sucker us into whatever they decide to offer and at whatever price point.

WalMart was held out of the City limits here but, kicking and screaming, has made it now. They did have to concede to wage and insurance standards though. They have killed off most of the little stores in their neighborhoods.
I would buy from the local hardware store but I can't stomach the prices. They wanted $100.00 before tax for the same brand of bifold door that I am going to get from Home Depot for $70.00.

I can't justify spending my money there when I can drive 60 minutes and get many other things that my hardware store doesn't carry anyways.

I did buy some Kilz and other stuff from them however.

Advertisement