Massive Mold In Basement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Massive Mold in Basement

We're looking at buying a house that is really nice save for a huge mold issue in the basement. 2/3 of the basement is finished with wood paneling which is obviously moldy and will have to come out and I'm sure the carpet has to come up as well. Even the basement wall on the side of the house that isn't finished has mold on the paint.

Is this a deal breaker, even if we get a deal on the house? Anyone out there have experience in hiring professionals to take care of a problem like this? How much does something like this cost?
thanks
Jim

Advertisement

jwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Massive Mold in Basement

I'd erase that house from my shopping list.....

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Massive Mold in Basement

If it were me I would be very reluctant to purchase a house with that kind of mold problem, especially out in the open like that. The owner can't say they didnt see it!

If the owner let it get that bad, then think of what that says about his/her ability to care and maintain the house, and think of what other problems may be lurking.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #4

Massive Mold in Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamaster View Post
If the owner let it get that bad, then think of what that says about his/her ability to care and maintain the house, and think of what other problems may be lurking.
It's a foreclosure that's been unoccupied since June, and the asking price seems about $40K under the neighborhood. We're thinking that if we can figure out what the risk is, we might be able to buy it cheaply and come out ahead. Most buyers will take one look at the basement and run away, as they probably should. There's some additional risk, as we can't see the basement walls in two thirds of the basement since there's paneling over them.

Jim
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Massive Mold in Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner View Post
It's a foreclosure that's been unoccupied since June, and the asking price seems about $40K under the neighborhood. We're thinking that if we can figure out what the risk is, we might be able to buy it cheaply and come out ahead. Most buyers will take one look at the basement and run away, as they probably should. There's some additional risk, as we can't see the basement walls in two thirds of the basement since there's paneling over them.

Jim
If I were you, and I was seriously thinking along the same lines as you (considering the house), I wouldn't be asking questions on the internet...

....I'd be contacting a Certified Mold Remediation Expert, and asking them for a comprehensive inspection/review/evaluation of;

the damages, the cause(s), and the course of corrective repairs.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Massive Mold in Basement

Does mold even grow on concrete? My guess is that they used some cheap paint on the bricks, and the mold is feeding on the paint.

I bet if you bleached it, got rid of that paint(actually strip it all..Not just paint over it), and used a good concrete/mold resistant paint..Youd never see it again.

My house had wood paneling over concrete bricks with 1X3s connecting them. No vapor barrier. I never saw any mold on anything, except sheetrock that got wet. Feeds on the paper and paint.
I switched out all the paneling anyways (because it was ugly) and put up mold resistant sheetrock.
When I finish it, I'll use a good quality paint. Potentially exterior.

Wouldnt hurt to have a pro check it..See if its behind walls, etc..
Mold can always be removed..But it can be ahuge pain if its really bad. So if it is bad, dont buy unless they knock off atleast what that cleanup could cost.

Last edited by Tommy2; 12-09-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 526

Massive Mold in Basement

Careful what your getting into,,,that paneling covers a multitude of sins. I saw one last week same way. What part of the world are you located?? The house I saw had ALOT of seriuos water issues relating to stupid drainage issues,,,from wrong sloping patio,to no gutters,to CRACKED badly foundation,actually unstable. PLUS water ran behind front brick fascade long enough to do who knows what,,,from rotted siding,,,then siding was replaced and THAT siding was rotted!!!(and improperly flashed).

For clarification,,,I CAN fix all the drainage issues,,,I cant 'see' all the damage it may have caused. . Dont KNOW how much water was in a basement that was only 3 feet into the ground,,,but it must have been alot,,,which brings up furnace and water heater 'issues'. IF the bank would allow me to rip out ALL finish in lower level and SEE how much rot and where I might make an offer,,not the way it is tho!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #8

Massive Mold in Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
What part of the world are you located??

For clarification,,,I CAN fix all the drainage issues,,,I cant 'see' all the damage it may have caused. . ... IF the bank would allow me to rip out ALL finish in lower level and SEE how much rot and where I might make an offer,,not the way it is tho!!
Agreed, at least about the risks in buying without a good assessment of the problems.

The house is in Wisconsin, has been winterized and is sitting unheated which is making things worse. If we buy, it will be without adequate information, so we're trying to assess the risk and buy it low enough that there's mostly upside to making a $160,000 bet.

We're working to get an idea of what it will cost to have 900 square feet of nicely finished basement professionally ripped out and to have the entire basement treated for mold.

Advertisement