On To Masonry - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

On to masonry

I own a brick home and have noticed a problem with the mortar on the side of my house. On the side where the driveway is located, the mortar in between the bricks seems to have washed out in places. Now the joints are recessed a bit to give it depth I guess, but there are clearly places where the mortar looks like it was pressure washed out. I"m sure its weather related because the paint is washed off as well. (The house is painted white) How would I tackle this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

On to masonry

Sounds like you need repointing. Not a DIY job unless you are a mason. The old crumbling mortar needs to be ground out and new mortar pushed into the openings. The old mortar needs to be removed roughly 3 times the size of the joint, so a 1/2 joint needs mortar removed/replaced 1 1/2" into the joint.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

On to masonry

once I get this problem fixed, would it be wise, beneficial or just crazy to dryloc the exterior of my house?
rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

On to masonry

Not usually needed. Proper mortar joints should last a long time. Those treatments rarely last more that a year or two.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 264

On to masonry

Dryloc on exterior brick can lock in moisture and may cause a whole new set of problems. I see many painted brick homes that have the face of the brick (not just the paint) flaking off. I often wonder if this is caused by the paint or did the HO paint because the brick was flaking???

Rege
RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote