Marble Tile For Shower Stall? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Marble tile for shower stall?

Up at the local HD I found some nice Marble tile I thought would go in my shower remodel. After thinking about things some more, I realized how soft the marble is and had to ask, is marble tile in a shower a good idea? Or too much work to maintain?

Advertisement

ajtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Well one thing you have to do to the marble tile before installing it is put a coat of high quality penetrating grout and tile sealer over each tile. This will prevent the dye in the grout from being absorbed into the tile. And then when your installation is complete re-apply at least two coats of the same high quality sealer to the whole surface of the tile and grout lines.

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

If the shower is heavily used,I suggest you think about another material---Marble is a soft--absorbent material,,It can be used successfully but must be maintained and sealed regularly.

By the way----do not seal the back with a surface sealer before installing---that will be a 'bond breaker' and will cause the thinset to fail to grip the tile.

Some marbles--Chinese greens in particular--will cup during installation . Troweling a thin film of epoxy on the back--and allowing that to dry--is an accepted method to stop the cupping.

----Mike----
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Some marbles--Chinese greens in particular--will cup during installation . Troweling a thin film of epoxy on the back--and allowing that to dry--is an accepted method to stop the cupping.

----Mike----
That happened to the tiles in our local hospital. The edges cupped over the years and had to be sanded down resealed and re-grouted and it wasn't cheap. They were green marble tiles, don't know if they were Chinese though.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

I worked with a marble and granite guy some years back----He had an amazing knowledge of the different stones and the little quirks that are inherent to each---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Just glad I had the thought before I went out and bought around 300 bucks worth of marble. Perhaps ceramic but I don't want those little 6x6" glazed tiles. Those are too every day. More shopping around I guess. Oh well, I still got a few pieces of rotted wood that needs yanked out and replaced before I get to start putting my shower back together.

Advertisement

ajtool is offline   Reply With Quote