Manufactured Stone Cuts - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Manufactured Stone Cuts

Hey all, I have done many stone/tile projects, but this is my first time working with manufactured stacked stone. To be specific they are El Dorado Stone Mountain Ledge Panels. My question to anyone with experience with this type of product is how to make cut edges blend with the pre-made corner pieces. I am doing a couple of columns, and there will undoubtedly be cuts on one at least one of the panels in between the two corner pieces on each side of the column. Im not concerned on the larger walls, but every column is going to have many cut pieces and I am imagining all these pre-made edges meeting up with cut edges and looking like crap. Anybody with ideas to deal with this???

Advertisement

SoCalLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Manufactured Stone Cuts

Do you have a picture (or a link) to the actual panel?

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

Manufactured Stone Cuts

Its a flashsite, so I cant give you a direct link, but you can go to eldoradostone.com. Then go to Products, El Dorado Stone, Nationwide Profiles, Mountain Ledge Panels. I am picking it up from my supplier on Wednesday, so I can take a couple better pics
Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Manufactured Stone Cuts

I couldn't find a picture of one of the panels there un-installed, but I think I've seen similar before. I'd consider using standard, non-panelized stone for for at least the columns. I don't think you'll save any time or aggravation by using the panels.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #5

Manufactured Stone Cuts

I hear ya. They just dont make the same size/color combo in the standard stuff, and I'm doing some large walls where the panels will save me a lot of time. I was thinking about trying to ease the cut edges with my grinder, and hope it makes them look a little more natural.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Manufactured Stone Cuts

Are you doing a drystack or are you grouting the joints?

It's easier to hide cuts if you're grouting, but even if not, you just smear a little mortar on the cut edge as you're laying them. I'd suggest a colored mortar for the bedding.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #7

Manufactured Stone Cuts

The panels are a drystack look so I was going to install them the same way. The colored mortar is a great idea though. They have liquid colorant made by Quikrete at Depot. Would that be okay?

Advertisement