Man, I Don't Like Being On Roofs Much Any More, - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,184

Man, I don't like being on roofs much any more,

especially with 18" or so of snow on them. But, after plungering a slow shower drain this morning, walked out the back door, through the knee deep snow, and one drift at least waist deep, looked up, and saw our totally whte roof. Well, actually there are two chimneys showing, so that's good, but no vent stacks. Darn, hate it when old man winter takes them away. On a positive note, at least I don't need to wonder what I will be doing later this afternoon.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

That is why they make roof rakes. You can also throw on the roof Urea or Pet Safe Ice Melt, to help keep the snow from sticking.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Roof rakes could probably spare a whole bunch of people some injuries.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Yes, I do have a roof rake, so shouldn't be too bad. Just lamenting a bit I guess about the joys of winter. Which I do actually enjoy for the most part; just some aspects that aren't as much fun. Should make some Royal Canadian with ginger ale taste pretty good when I go back inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,230

Snow or not, I am very uncomfortable on roofs. Had a serious fall on a Habitat for Humanity build a few years back and shattered three bones in my left wrist. It's never been the same, nor will it ever be. But the worst part is, I can't play the guitar any more. The doctor said surgery would fix it, but at my age (66) it wouldn't be worth the risk. Not being left-handed, I'll live with it.

As for clogged vent stacks, I designed the plumbing layout so everything connects inside the house and there's only the main stack penetrating the roof, near the peak. That, and a 12/12 pitch metal roof, mean no worries about a clogged vent.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
DexterII (02-14-2014), gregzoll (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #6

Thanks to a certain level of support that I perceived from md2lgyk's reply, and being only a few years younger, please allow me to explain my initial "gripe". Yes, I do have a roof rake, so no big deal. And yes, I have reroofed a number of 100 year or so old houses in the neighborhood of 10/12, 12/12, etc. But there comes a time, often in the decade between 50 and 60 years on this good earth, based on my observations anyway, when things change a bit, for all of us. So, at some point in there, carrying a ladder and snow rake through a couple feet of snow, leaning the ladder up to the house, climbing to the eaves, extending a 16-17' rod with a blade across the roof, and pulling the snow back, while wearing what feels like 50 pounds of bib overalls, pac boots, heavy gloves etc., due to and temperatures in or slightly above single digits, counts as "being on the roof". Yup, know what's involved, so obviously done it before, and most likely will again; no big deal!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I saw this a couple of weeks ago on Ask this Old House.

http://www.northerntool.com/avalanche

Scroll down and there is a you tube video.
Jtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtom View Post
I saw this a couple of weeks ago on Ask this Old House.

http://www.northerntool.com/avalanche

Scroll down and there is a you tube video.
Checked out the video. Avalanche is the word for it. Those poor shrubs below. Looks like it works good though. It sounds like the OP has to climb up a ladder just to access the roof with the rake. I am fortunate in that I can reach my roof from the ground. I would guess if your roof 2 stories or more up and your pitch is less than 3/3, you are going to have trouble reaching from the ground with the rake.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

The good thing about a roof rake is building up the back and shoulder muscles in addition developing better legs wading through the snow.

Do it right after significant snow and let mother nature do her job because most storms are followed an clearing skies and rays can even eliminate snow or ice on cloudy days.

The ideal roof should be well ventilated and look like it has a marshmallow of top of it.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 87

TBH I was actually glad to see the snow on the roof since it meant I had made progress on keeping all the heat in the house from venting out through the attic.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #11

Well, got 'er done last night. It's a ranch, so I can reach a lot of the roof from the ground, but, with a 4-1/2 in 12 pitch and the elevation slope on the back side of the house, can only reach so far without a ladder. And I added a master bedroom and family room on the back a few years ago, leaving the stack for the bathrooms about 15' in from the nearest edge, so, short of climbing up to the eaves, it would reuire something like a 30-40' rake. It's a hip roof, and darned if I could remember which side of the hip the utility room stack was on, but was able to reach that one from the ground, so wasn't too bad.

Advertisement