Making Your Own Trim! IS It Worth It?? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Making your own trim! IS it worth it??

Ok so I am redoing a house my wife inherited. (her Great Uncles) (we will be moving in as soon as the work is completed, hopefully by the end of June) Built in the mid 60's. just has plain old BORING clamshell that isn't in the best of shape. (have already removed ALL of it from the upstairs) I was orginally looking to put in Craftsman / Arts & Crafts style trim. (Square corners, straight lines etc) http://artsandcraftsandsteampunk.blo...craftsman.html I am thinking it may cost too much? (Not quite sure how much too much is sorry) But I was thinking of making some of my own trim via router table. Question! I am trying to keep the price as low as possible, (have ALOT of work to do in the house and of course like most funds are limited) I was thinking of using poplar or pine. THOUGHTS? SUGGESTIONS? RECOMMENDATIONS? Whatever advice you can offer I will happily accept!

THANK YOU

Advertisement

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Multiple piece trim is more expensive than one piece just because there is more material involved.

Poplar is a great choice for painted trim vs pine.
Pine is less expensive when you're just looking at knot riddled boards but in order to get pine knot free, you have to buy select or better which becomes more expensive than Poplar.
Poplar is typically knot free.

Choose a craftsman style carefully. I see a lot of trim that people put up as Craftsman but looks like Crapsman.

Advertisement

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Is poplar NOT a good choice for stain? I myself would prefer paint, but my wife is leaning towards stain. I was under the impression that poplar is not a very stainable wood? Don't know why? I was explaining that in order to stain the trim we would have to upgrade to ???? (more expensive) so kicking around ideas!?

Again ANY input is accepted and appreciated!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Choose a craftsman style carefully. I see a lot of trim that people put up as Craftsman but looks like Crapsman.
Gee, I hope you don't mean MY work!
Oak trimming her new foyer.
I think it's well worth the effort to create your own trim, casements, moldings, etc. if you have the time, tools and supplies. (preferably free) The trim I'm making right now is all oak for the new foyer area, but the dining room is all walnut doors and walnut and oak trimmed windows/vertical blinds...
http://www.diychatroom.com/f50/verti...-45533/index3/

DM
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

I think it is a good idea. I have an Arts and Crafts home and my trim is true to the ideal - elegantly simple. I have taken apart the casings on most of the widows and I really don't see why a careful person with a mitre saw and router table could not reproduce my trim. My baseboards are square cut 1 x 8s, douglas fir. I can imagine if you went for some of the more sophisticated Craftsman designs that you could easily get in over your head. Those designs might not look right in a '60s house anyways. I would check out mid century styles before I committed to anything. From what I can tell, they are experiencing somewhat of a revival.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
old guy contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
Is poplar NOT a good choice for stain? I myself would prefer paint, but my wife is leaning towards stain. I was under the impression that poplar is not a very stainable wood? Don't know why? I was explaining that in order to stain the trim we would have to upgrade to ???? (more expensive) so kicking around ideas!?

Again ANY input is accepted and appreciated!
Poplar is a great wood to stain!!
Many times it is stained to look like cherry or walnut because the grains are so similar.
You just have to be careful when your picking out the boards. You want to pay attention to the mineral and sap wood which is the darker vein.

Last edited by tcleve4911; 01-31-2011 at 11:14 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-01-2011), Evil Scotsman (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

For the office in my house I made flat trim from 3/4 inch subfloor. With a little wood filler and a coat of paint, you have to examine it pretty closely to figure out that it's not solid wood. If a sheet of plywood costs $20, then 8 foot lengths of 4" wide boards ripped from it cost $1.66 each, which is way less than any other option, and they're dimensionally stable, so cracks never open up.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would say that making your own trim is more a matter of personal satisfaction, more so than a decision based from a financial aspect.

Keep in mind it is more time consuming, and if you choose a elaborate shape, then you will not be able to buy in the future.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #9

Thank you EVERYONE! By all means keep the suggestions coming. I think that I AM going to make my own trim/baseboards etc with poplar. NOT VERY eleborant. That is why I like the craftsman, simple and classy without being over the top! Paint ? Stain? Really boils down to what the warden wants! Will post pics when I come up with a design. Or if any of you have pics/designs/suggestions I am all eyes!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
old guy contractor

Craftsman style cat door

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

If it's a house you plan on living in for a very long time, I would go with the craftsman style wood trim; but I prefer painted trim as it gives a much cleaner look (IMHO). If it's just a house you were going to live in for a few years, and then sell, go with what's most affordable.
suprvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvee View Post
If it's a house you plan on living in for a very long time, I would go with the craftsman style wood trim; but I prefer painted trim as it gives a much cleaner look (IMHO). If it's just a house you were going to live in for a few years, and then sell, go with what's most affordable.
When I leave this house I will be in a pine box or a coffee can! haha It will be our last house, it is paid off, has a nice size yard, garage, and I am only 11 - 12 years from retirement. So I am almost certain going to go with make my own trim/baseboards and will go with poplar. That is of course providing I can do it. I don't think I will have a problem though, my Dad has a router and table. I feel secure enough that I can use it at least decently. THANKS

Advertisement