Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Making a platform (likely just a board) attach to the head of a tripod; help?

I got a new tripod for my camera recently and would like to convert my old one into something resembling a nightstand or tv tray; I was thinking of using a board or flat surface with a nut or something similar attached to the bottom that would be the right thread size to screw onto the tripod. The idea would be to have a platform/tabletop surface that could have its height easily adjusted up and down; I know they make things like these, but I'd rather not pay $85.00 for a 15 inch piece of plastic that's ready-made to screw on to tripods (like this: http://amzn.to/9k4i2N) or $150.00+ for an adjustable end table (like this: http://amzn.to/a6UExN) when I can probably make something very similar myself for a fraction of the cost with the right equipment. problem is, I'm not very handy with this type of stuff and don't really know how to go about attaching a threaded hole to a board or what type of threaded hole I should even be looking for. I figure it can't be that hard, though. Any help?

tjst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

You could use a "tee nut" or a "sex bolt".

Either way I would use an epoxy glue to make sure it held firmly in the wood. And you'll have to make sure you don't overload the shelf because it won't be able to withstand a lot of weight.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Tee nut

Sex bolt