Make Bare Porch Post Pretty... Or Something - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 162

make bare porch post pretty... or something

A contractor put in these bare posts (pictured below) to straighten the span above the porch and level the upper interior floors above it. This is kind of a temporary solution until we re-do the whole front porch. Since that may be years down the road, any ideas on what we could do to make this look better aesthetically for the time being?

P.S. - We'd prefer not to mimic the current outer pillars (they're stucco, plaster, concrete or something) because they're so bulky. Also I have to install railings on the porch (we have an infant) so maybe they can help blend in what is done with the bare posts?
Attached Thumbnails
make bare porch post pretty... or something-20150807_172129.jpg  

Advertisement

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,422

If they are coming out down the road, painting them white would help them blend in.

Boxing them out with some 1x4 would make them more prominent but would lessen their ability to dry out at the bottom. I am not sure how the contractor put them in there at the bottom but you don't want them to stay wet and/or rot.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,240

If the posts are pt, wait min 3 months, 6 months recommended, before painting. Then hang a planter. Homedepot sells railing parts. Sand, prime and paint.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,154

They are to thin looking ---so I would build a boxed collum around the new posts---
Old 08-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,188

Optical illusion or are the posts not centered on the supports?
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 948

The posts need to be in proportion to each other and the rest of the facade. You've ruled out matching the two that are there, which leaves replacing all. Otherwise, whatever you do is going to look disjointed.

PVC column wraps could work. (If I was remodeling, I would lose the brick and coping, possibly look at lowering the column base to 6-12" above the top of deck, find a PVC wrapped column that is well proportioned to the facade, and fix the eave details and the clipped gable. Paint would help, but not that grey. Paint the header to match the trim.)
keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

I like the tapered craftsman style columns. I think they just need to be taller in proportion to the base, 1/3 base to 2/3rds column. Your home has a lot of potential.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

They're attached to the beam that supports the deck (a hole was busted through the flower pot/half columns to do this), the posts are not pressure treated, very good point about them being unprotected and rotting out and yes the post are not centered (3 1/2" difference). Also, very good point about painting the header white (can't believe we never thought of that).

So it sounds like boxing them in into a simple column is fast and easy, boxing them in mimicking the tapered style of the outer columns would be more time consuming, but go better with the overall look and busting out the outer columns to the posts and putting simple columns on all four would be optimal.... any other ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post

Your home is a bungalow, a style that benefits from strong symmetry and low lines. One of the classic traits of that style is the tapered columns. You said they are heavy, but I think the problem is more in the details of the facade, which lacks symmetry. Bungalow columns are muscular, and that's probably how I would keep it. A classic bungalow would have a central stair, with windows flanking it in each porch bay. If your floor plan allows you to accomplish this, it could look great.

If not, pairing a door and window, centered in the left bay of the deck would help. (Front-facing stair an option.) Pair narrow double-hungs, two each in the other two openings. The railing you asked about works well aligned even with the top of the column base. The brick needs repointing, and since its painted brick, it might not be worth the trouble. Consider stone veneer, brick or wood to match your siding. (The roof needs some attention to correct the uplift at the eaves.) It's a very popular style, and I would embrace it, not deviate from it.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,851

You could un-highlight them by painting the columns and the blocks they sit on the same gray as the siding above.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

I've decided to just paint the bare posts the same color as the house trim for the time being. The problem is there's a hole in the brick structure so the posts can go all the way down to the porch's deck beam (pictured below). What's an easy way to cover up that hole so sideways rain doesn't wet, and subsequently rot the unpainted part of the posts below the surface and beam down below?
Attached Thumbnails
make bare porch post pretty... or something-20150810_114534.jpg   make bare porch post pretty... or something-20150810_114245.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,851

You should make a cap out of wood that goes over the brick/concrete and meets the column. Ideally the cap will be tapered to the outside so it sheds water. It would look like a squat pyramid with its top cut off. I'm surprised the guy that put in the columns didn't do that. Do you have the tools you need to build that?

Advertisement

ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote