Major Water Damage.... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Major Water Damage....

Hi - I had pipes burst in my house due to the water pressure regulator valve going bad. The PSI was over 2.5 times the maximum amount so we had some serious water pressure flooding our house from top to bottom for around 12 hours. We even had water pouring from the inside of the house to the to the outside exterior wall from the Upstairs Master bathroom down to the ground. There was so much water, there was about an inch and a half of thick Ice, that froze between the exterior wall and the inside of the siding from top to bottom. Then another 1" - 1.5" thick Ice on the exterior side of the siding so there was a sheet of Ice about an 1.5" Thick on both side of the exterior Siding.

I have a 2 story house with a finished walk-out Basement. It appears all of the Hardwood Flooring and 3/4" Tongue & groove Sub floor on the main level needs replaced, as well as most of the Sub Floor on the 2nd level. The 3/4" Sub Floor is Tongue & Groove Glue & Nail Down. It also looks like the Beam Plate above the Steel-I-beam in the basement is rotting as well as a lot of the Floor Joist.

My question is how does this get fixed properly so that it is 100% like it never happened? I have full coverage replacement insurance so that is a blessing. I have little ones so I want to make sure it gets fixed correctly.

Each level is about 1600Sq. Ft with 9' & 18.5' ft. ceilings.

Thanks for your time and for any help.


JLaBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Residential Designer
AndyGump's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,386
Rewards Points: 688
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

The flooring may have to go because it is warped and will be able to be used again but I highly doubt that the rot is caused by one incidence of water getting in the area.
True rot needs water then dry out...water then dry out...repeatedly.

Find where the other water is coming from too.



Residential Drafter/Designer
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Civil Engineer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,638
Rewards Points: 4,856

Presumably your insurance company will be paying for covered damage. You are going to need to hire a competent general contractor to prepare a plan to repair the house, no doubt there will be lots of things to look at, but certainly with this type of catastrophe no one on an internet chat forum can possibly instruct you on how to repair such damage unless they visit the site.

I have worked on many flooding claims from the insurance company side. Make sure the insurance adjuster addresses all of the following potential damage issues:

1. Flooring and finish (drywall and paint)
2. Cabinets
3. Appliances
4. Framing
5. Electrical
6. Plumbing
7. Mechanical systems to include HVAC and boiler
8. Foundation damage
9. Siding
10. Communications systems including telephone and data
11. Landscaping and grading

Possibly the only thing they don't have to look at is the roof. If you don't agree with the adjuster, or think they left something out, get an independent adjuster to work with you.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
JLaBrier (05-01-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,442
Rewards Points: 14,014

In any case like that that I have seen the insurance company within 24 hours has a crew on site cutting the sheetrock out, removing insulation, any flooring that got damaged. taking lots of pictures to cta if someone trys to say they had hardwood when they really had laminite floors.
Moving furniture to storage to prevent any damage during repairs or sending it out to be repaired if it got damaged.
The home owner should really not need to do anything in most cases I've seen.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000

# 1: Get an independant adjuster, to ensure that your receive enough money to properly repair the areas.

We do ALOT of Residential & Commercial Apartment, insurance-related water-damage repairs. In fact, one of our current projects is 2 floors of extensive water damage from a leaking plumbing line (in a home).

The insurance-covered repair work is supposed to bring the damaged home areas (all affected areas) back to the conditions they were in, prior to damage (it is supposed to be a complete "restoration" process).
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
JLaBrier (05-01-2012)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hail Damage Claims Myths/Facts Roofmaster417 Roofing/Siding 5 08-03-2011 03:04 PM
Homeowner Storm Damage Claim Tips Roofmaster417 Roofing/Siding 0 07-24-2011 09:17 PM
Water damage. How bad can it be? alexin General DIY Discussions 3 08-23-2010 01:53 PM
Need some advice on buying home termite & water damage. Mr Heshup General DIY Discussions 1 03-29-2009 03:06 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1