Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #1

Share |

Major Water Damage....

Hi - I had pipes burst in my house due to the water pressure regulator valve going bad. The PSI was over 2.5 times the maximum amount so we had some serious water pressure flooding our house from top to bottom for around 12 hours. We even had water pouring from the inside of the house to the to the outside exterior wall from the Upstairs Master bathroom down to the ground. There was so much water, there was about an inch and a half of thick Ice, that froze between the exterior wall and the inside of the siding from top to bottom. Then another 1" - 1.5" thick Ice on the exterior side of the siding so there was a sheet of Ice about an 1.5" Thick on both side of the exterior Siding.

I have a 2 story house with a finished walk-out Basement. It appears all of the Hardwood Flooring and 3/4" Tongue & groove Sub floor on the main level needs replaced, as well as most of the Sub Floor on the 2nd level. The 3/4" Sub Floor is Tongue & Groove Glue & Nail Down. It also looks like the Beam Plate above the Steel-I-beam in the basement is rotting as well as a lot of the Floor Joist.

My question is how does this get fixed properly so that it is 100% like it never happened? I have full coverage replacement insurance so that is a blessing. I have little ones so I want to make sure it gets fixed correctly.

Each level is about 1600Sq. Ft with 9' & 18.5' ft. ceilings.

Thanks for your time and for any help.

JLaBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Major Water Damage....

The flooring may have to go because it is warped and will be able to be used again but I highly doubt that the rot is caused by one incidence of water getting in the area.
True rot needs water then dry out...water then dry out...repeatedly.

Find where the other water is coming from too.

Andy.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Major Water Damage....

Presumably your insurance company will be paying for covered damage. You are going to need to hire a competent general contractor to prepare a plan to repair the house, no doubt there will be lots of things to look at, but certainly with this type of catastrophe no one on an internet chat forum can possibly instruct you on how to repair such damage unless they visit the site.

I have worked on many flooding claims from the insurance company side. Make sure the insurance adjuster addresses all of the following potential damage issues:

1. Flooring and finish (drywall and paint)
2. Cabinets
3. Appliances
4. Framing
5. Electrical
6. Plumbing
7. Mechanical systems to include HVAC and boiler
8. Foundation damage
9. Siding
10. Communications systems including telephone and data
11. Landscaping and grading

Possibly the only thing they don't have to look at is the roof. If you don't agree with the adjuster, or think they left something out, get an independent adjuster to work with you.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
JLaBrier (05-01-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

Major Water Damage....

In any case like that that I have seen the insurance company within 24 hours has a crew on site cutting the sheetrock out, removing insulation, any flooring that got damaged. taking lots of pictures to cta if someone trys to say they had hardwood when they really had laminite floors.
Moving furniture to storage to prevent any damage during repairs or sending it out to be repaired if it got damaged.
The home owner should really not need to do anything in most cases I've seen.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Major Water Damage....

# 1: Get an independant adjuster, to ensure that your receive enough money to properly repair the areas.

We do ALOT of Residential & Commercial Apartment, insurance-related water-damage repairs. In fact, one of our current projects is 2 floors of extensive water damage from a leaking plumbing line (in a home).

The insurance-covered repair work is supposed to bring the damaged home areas (all affected areas) back to the conditions they were in, prior to damage (it is supposed to be a complete "restoration" process).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
JLaBrier (05-01-2012)