Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mailbox Mishap

Hello,

Recently my wife backed our car into a mailbox while picking up our kid from a music lesson. The following week, when I was doing the drop off, the teacher told me that they had gotten someone to repair it, and the cost was $100. There was no damage to our car, and there didn't seem to be much damage to the mailbox or the stand. My wife did say that the stand was pushed over and uprooted from the ground.

I would greatly appreciate the opinion of the forum as to whether, this repair cost is realistic and honest. I have posted a picture of the mailbox as it stands today.

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mailbox Mishap-mailbox.jpg  

MikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Mailbox Mishap

Since we can't see a "before" pic, it will be difficult to assess. However, I don't think it would be out of line to ask for an invoice/receipts for the repair if they hired it out. If they DIYed the repair, you should consider the cost in their time to make the repair.

Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mailbox Mishap

Here's my opinion:

They obviously hired someone to come out and reinstall the post, if you are correct in that there was no damage to it.

You missed the opportunity to apologize and offer to reinstall it yourself. Too much time went by and they became irritated with the lack of responsibilty for damages incurred. If you want to keep the relationship on good terms, then its time to face the music ( see what I did there...)

Sorry if you don't like my opinion. Maybe you should ask for a receipt and claim it on your income tax as part of your childs activities ( If it's an allowable expense in the U.S .It is here in Canada)
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Mailbox Mishap

Piano Lady:
We were writing at the same time.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #5

Mailbox Mishap

The owner did not realize that my wife had hit it. My wife actually got out of the car to tell her about it, so facing the music isn't the issue. I am more than willing to pay whatever it costs, but the thing is made of iron, and comparable stands cost around $100. So I am just confused as to why putting it back into the ground and possibly bending it back a little, would cost $100.
I like the tax write-off idea as an excuse to ask for a receipt. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Mailbox Mishap

Hard to say without knowing what was done but if someone had to dig it out of the ground, knock off a concrete collar (if present) anchoring it, heat it up and try to straighten the cheap metal tubing (still looks wacked to me but that could be camera angle I guess), straighten it, put it back in the ground, plumb it and pour a new concrete collar? $100 seems like a bargain!

More than likely what I am guessing has happened is they have decided to live with the old one at least until they get your $100 for a new one.

Anyhow, I would pay up. Obviously there is some relationship of value going on in this that is worth at least $100? Kid is learning to play something other than just sharps and flats right? And at the end of the day, your wife did hit the thing. You said it would cost you $100 to buy them a new one?

I destroyed my uncle's prized mailbox once and he was determined to nail me for a new one with lighting, wtw carpeting, heating and air conditioning and slate roof. I reminded him the old one was nice but just a mailbox. I installed a slight improvement over the old one (larger flag he could see from miles away!). I don't think he gouged me for the thing he bought. It was certainly not worth bickering about.

Last edited by user1007; 09-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

Mailbox Mishap

Thank you and everyone else for your responses. The stand is not in concrete, it's just pounded into the soil. Which is why it fell over when the car hit it. If it was in concrete, I am assuming the iron would have bent more and there would be more damage to my car.

If there were visible repairs, i wouldn't be suspicious, but all that appears to have been done is it was put back into the soil.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,008

Mailbox Mishap

I see you stated above the stand was not set in concrete so that blows my theory of cost out of the water.

Last edited by hammerlane; 09-18-2012 at 11:56 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Mailbox Mishap

Seems a bit pricey but not out of line, don't know the labor rates in your area. Some people won't even show up for less that a C-note. ( Take that, creep.)

Spooky psychic thing that pianolady would show up at music box mishap. No clue in title. Some sort of mystical mail? ( Insert ooooeeee music)

People were always knockin over my mail box, got so there was so much concrete and bracing I couldn't find a place to dig a new hole. Made a Timmy Tipsy Toy out of it. Great big plastic planting pot, with bricks in bottom, bunch a purty flawrs and post planted in it. Gets knocked over, set it back up. Some folks who knock it over even get out of car and set it back up. Don't know what that's really got to do with this thread. Guess i was just whistlinin the wind. See what I did was....OK I'll put a mute in it.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Mailbox Mishap

One thing to consider here:

Hire a different piano teacher in your area.

Good luck.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oodssoo For This Useful Post:
user1007 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Mailbox Mishap

Again, if you know a new one is $100 and that is all they are asking you to contribute where is your real issue? Whether they use the $100 you give them to try and repair what they have, get a new one, or just live with the old one, etc. is really not worth the fuss is it? And isn't it the penance you have to pay for your wife hitting the thing?
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
creeper (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Mailbox Mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
Some people won't even show up for less that a C-note. ( Take that, creep.)
True. I would need at least a C sharp major chord.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #13

Mailbox Mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Again, if you know a new one is $100 and that is all they are asking you to contribute where is your real issue? Whether they use the $100 you give them to try and repair what they have, get a new one, or just live with the old one, etc. is really not worth the fuss is it? And isn't it the penance you have to pay for your wife hitting the thing?
The issue is not the money. If the mailbox did not require any work, and all it needed was to be put back in the ground, I don't appreciate being taken advantage of. I already pay this lady and contribute to side business of giving music classes. So if she did not actually need some one to come fix anything, I think it is sneaky and dishonest to try and squeeze more money out of a client.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Mailbox Mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
One thing to consider here:

Hire and look for a different piano teacher in your area.

Good luck.

I must quote myself here, MikeATL. There are MANY good piano teachers out there who can teach the same things. Of course, depending on your kids level. Most piano teachers really just try and suffice the 30 minutes or hour to collect money at the end...

One more thing to consider here... don't put too much emotion and waste any more of your energy into this issue. Nip it in the budd now.

Last edited by oodssoo; 09-18-2012 at 12:24 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #15

Mailbox Mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeATL View Post
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate the opinion of the forum as to whether, this repair cost is realistic and honest.

Many thanks.

You ask our opinions then you proceed to argue with our responses when you don't like the answer.

Methinks you are just looking for affirmation of your opinion that you are not being treatly fairly.

MrNotJohn..this is for you...

Three notes walk into a bar; a C an E flat and a G. The bartenter says he doesn't serve minors. So the E- flat leaves and the C and the G have a fifth between them

.....take that...

Sent from Samsung Mobile

The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
user1007 (09-18-2012)