Mailbox Key And Lock - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Mailbox Key and lock

Have a duplex unit with a tenant and he decided one day to just pack up and go. No warning, no letter, no rent, took his keys and that''s it. Tried to get a hold of him via email, phone...to no avail.

Anyways this is not the issue. The mailbox, which I had only 1 and no duplicate key, disappeared with him.

Is this a "typical" lock? Do I just call a lock smith out to drill it and replace with another?

Or does the post office have keys? They obviously have the master key to open the boxes to put mail in?

Or should I try to use a screwdriver and brute force it, get it opened then go get a new cylinder from a home center?

Thoughts?

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Mailbox Key and lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
Have a duplex unit with a tenant and he decided one day to just pack up and go. No warning, no letter, no rent, took his keys and that''s it. Tried to get a hold of him via email, phone...to no avail.

Anyways this is not the issue. The mailbox, which I had only 1 and no duplicate key, disappeared with him.

Is this a "typical" lock? Do I just call a lock smith out to drill it and replace with another?

Or does the post office have keys? They obviously have the master key to open the boxes to put mail in?

Or should I try to use a screwdriver and brute force it, get it opened then go get a new cylinder from a home center?

Thoughts?

Not saying it's the best way, but that's typically what I do at our 6-plex in this situation. Or, if you know what time the mailman/lady shows up, they might leave it open for you until you can change it. My local hardware store carries the lock, you just have to choose which of the 3-4 "arms" that come with it works best. You could probably also take it to a locksmith once you get it out to get a replacement key (or 5)..........

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,208

Mailbox Key and lock

Anywhere I've ever lived, you had to get a new lock from the Post Office. They wouldn't allow just any old lock from a big box store.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 766

Mailbox Key and lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Anywhere I've ever lived, you had to get a new lock from the Post Office. They wouldn't allow just any old lock from a big box store.
That's true for the master lock in the post man uses but the individual unit locks don't have such strict specifications. Regular mailboxes don't even have a lock. The OP will be fine purchasing a lock at the local hardware store. Changing it when the mailman opens the unit is certainly the easiest way but the post man doesn't have to cooperate and actually shouldn't. Since he's the owner of the property he would be better off contacting the local postmaster in explaining the situation.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Mailbox Key and lock

The post office supplies and maintains the unit lock that opens all four boxes (the upper lock in box #3). The individual box locks are the owners responsibility. If you can get there when the mail man is delivering and he will let you, remove the "C" clip that holds the lock, or the retainer nut whichever it has. Pull the lock out and take it to your local lock shop. They will sell you a replacement. Auth/Florence is a very common box. If the post man isn't willing to wait, then drill right through the center of the keyway.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote