Lowes Or Home Depot Takeoff Or Plan Estimates - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
La1

Rewards Points: 10

Lowes or Home Depot takeoff or plan estimates

Went to both Lowes and Home Depot with my house blueprints in hand but neither can give me a list of lumber materials needed. Actually, Lowes said they would take my blueprints and mail to a 3rd party company for estimates and they charge $100 but you get that back if you buy your materials from Lowes. Trying to figure out what materials will be needed, I thought companies did this for free. Perhaps there is online software that would let me put dimensions in give me materials list? Any suggestions

Advertisement

La1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 512

A real lumber yard is your best bet. If you are going to self build, stop into a local yard and talk to a salesman. If you are serious about building, they will sense it and provide you with a free take off. If your just tire kicking, or going to shop the price around everywhere, you may get a quote, but probably not as detailed. A good salesman is worth more than any tiny cost differences.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
joecaption (06-15-2013), kwikfishron (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,174

This is a capitalist country, so you should seriously question any "free" takeoff. Typically the supplier includes "free" takeoff in their price, so you are going to pay more for the materials than if you did your own takeoff. As for online software to put dimensions on your plans, most plans I have seen have the dimensions on them. If they don't, how are you going to build? Surely you were not planning to scale the plans? So I don't quite follow how an on line software program is going to get dimensions onto your plans.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 572

A box store is the last place I would have taken them.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by La1 View Post
Went to both Lowes and Home Depot with my house blueprints...
Trying to figure out what materials will be needed...
Any suggestions
Go back to whoever drafted the plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeighteen
A real lumber yard is your best bet.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 626

when I built my home and was doing bids and getting lumber packages done etc. this how things broke down cost wise and my over all satisfaction. in order of most costly
1 HD & Lowes tied.
2 Pro build semi local lumber yard
3 a lumber yard one county over
4. my local Lumber yard.
Now on service and meeting my needs
My Local lumber yard. hands down delivers every time.
I do business with the orange store only because some times the local lumber yard does not carry it.
numbers 1 threw 3 all charge for delivery. well number three does not deliver. so they lost the bid even though they were low ball. #4 sells J grade lumber Dough fir. So I could get the best grade of lumber and they still were cheaper then the big stores. So go to your local Lumber yard.

Advertisement

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (06-15-2013), TheEplumber (06-15-2013)