Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

Share |

Low Profile Deck? 4K to Rip and Replace Concrete

I have a patio that half of it has dropped approximately 1" - 1.5". The prices I have been quoted for rip out and replace is right around the $4000 mark, (this is only the patio) My thought was to build a low profile deck approximately 6" - 8 " off the concrete to cover it instead of $4K. I would be using the preform cement blocks (not sure of the name but they have the grooves cut in them to accept 2Xs.) Would this be cost effective? What problems/issues can you foresee with this? My preference would be the rip and replace but the bank just isn't feeling 4k right now with all the other stuff we are doing?

Thank YOU ! ALL and ANY input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #2

Overall, sound like a good plan - but are you planning to put the concrete piers directly on the existing concrete patio slab - that is sinking? Your new deck would be expected to then sink as well, would it not? The piers under the deck need to be well supported - maybe holes dug and filled with concrete as footers, sonotubes, etc.

How large is the deck to be? Pictures would help folks here to help you.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Overall, sound like a good plan - but are you planning to put the concrete piers directly on the existing concrete patio slab - that is sinking? Your new deck would be expected to then sink as well, would it not? The piers under the deck need to be well supported - maybe holes dug and filled with concrete as footers, sonotubes, etc.

How large is the deck to be? Pictures would help folks here to help you.
Will try to get some pics tonight!! Raining here right now but will try Thank YOU! The concrete is settled now has not moved in many years, but has been unlevel for many years!! haha But stable now!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
I have a patio that half of it has dropped approximately 1" - 1.5". The prices I have been quoted for rip out and replace is right around the $4000 mark, (this is only the patio) My thought was to build a low profile deck approximately 6" - 8 " off the concrete to cover it instead of $4K. I would be using the preform cement blocks (not sure of the name but they have the grooves cut in them to accept 2Xs.) Would this be cost effective? What problems/issues can you foresee with this? My preference would be the rip and replace but the bank just isn't feeling 4k right now with all the other stuff we are doing?

Thank YOU ! ALL and ANY input is greatly appreciated!!!!!
It kinda depends on whether you want this deck to be "adequate" or really done right. If adequate is adequate, you can go with your plan. Just keep in mind that, in any northern climate, the concrete is going to heave and shift with the freezing and thawing of the ground.

Some questions...
1. How big is this patio?
2. How long are you wanting this deck to "last"? If only to get by until you can do it right, you're probably fine.
3. Could you rip out the concrete yourself, and then put in patio pavers? Last year, I rented a walk-behind skid-steer ($105 for a 24-hour period), wreaked havoc on a bunch of old sidewalk, then built a patio.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Have you looked into mud-jacking the patio yet?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #7

Demolishing a patio is a DIY type of job. Rent a jackhammer and get the correct type of dumpster and you're off to the races.
I wouldn't put a deck on a tilted patio. The suggestions of mud jacking would solve the problem if the patio isn't cracked or have other issues.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Jack of all - master none

Quote:
+1 to this. To have someone come in and mud-jack it is going to cost much, much less than building a deck, or removing and replacing concrete. We use this method to fix municipal sidewalks now, at a fraction of the cost we were paying to tear out and replace sidewalk squares.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
What is mud jacking? I have never heard of it before? Would that be what I refer to as capping? Pouring concrete on top of existing concrete in order to level it out? I had a contractor suggesting that? But wouldn't give a warranty?! How long would you estimate that to last? I can't remember the price but I know it was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #10

Mud jacking is a process where they pump a special mud (concrete) under the slab and lift(jack) it back up level.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Jack of all - master none

Mud jacking is nothing like capping. The way we do it for sidewalks is we drill a hole, about 2-3" in diameter in the part of the sidewalk that is sunk. We then use the mud jack pump to pump a slurry mixture under the sidewalk, thereby raising it up. It's not quite normal concrete, but not just "mud" either. The hole is then patched/smoothed over and it's all done.

Here is a youtube video demonstrating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTU6vKXR8WI

Here's a better video - a commercial with diagrams showing how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2FrHSGuLUc
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Mud jacking is nothing like capping. The way we do it for sidewalks is we drill a hole, about 2-3" in diameter in the part of the sidewalk that is sunk. We then use the mud jack pump to pump a slurry mixture under the sidewalk, thereby raising it up. It's not quite normal concrete, but not just "mud" either. The hole is then patched/smoothed over and it's all done.

Here is a youtube video demonstrating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTU6vKXR8WI

Here's a better video - a commercial with diagrams showing how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2FrHSGuLUc
I did see this a couple weeks ago on tv THANKS its an avenue I will look into! Didn't really think about it~