Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Blues Hockey Fan

Share |

Loud Flourescent Bulbs

I bought six shop lights for my workshop.
Two are currently up and installed.
When I flip the switch, the bulbs in both lights make a rather loud rumbling/rattling-type noise and you can see the ripples moving around in the bulbs.
It will do this for a few minutes before it quiets down to a normal level.

Is this because it is cold and they need to "warm up"? The detached workshop isn't heated.

cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Loud Flourescent Bulbs

To some extent, that is typical. Fluorescent bulbs always take awhile to reach full brightness - even more so when cold.

It is also possible that your starter and/or ballast are either weak or going bad.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (09-29-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Blues Hockey Fan

Loud Flourescent Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
To some extent, that is typical. Fluorescent bulbs always take awhile to reach full brightness - even more so when cold.

It is also possible that your starter and/or ballast are either weak or going bad.
Well, I doubt anything is going bad as they are both new shop lights and they both do it.
So I guess it's either the model of lights maybe with a weak ballast or the cold weather?
I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks when the weather starts to warm up a bit.
I may buy a different type shop light and put it up and see what it does.
I bought the cheapest they had...something like $8 a piece.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Loud Flourescent Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice12 View Post
Well, I doubt anything is going bad as they are both new shop lights and they both do it.
So I guess it's either the model of lights maybe with a weak ballast or the cold weather?
I guess I'll find out in the next few weeks when the weather starts to warm up a bit.
I may buy a different type shop light and put it up and see what it does.
I bought the cheapest they had...something like $8 a piece.
I've done the same thing - go the ultra-cheapo route. I've got 4 of them hanging in my garage right now. The light is pretty green for a little while, but they come around okay. I'm assuming that the cheapest models have the smallest starters and ballasts - maybe even a bit too small.

Also, on the ultra-cheapos, the tin is pretty thin, and not machined very well. It probably accentuates the vibration.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #5

Loud Flourescent Bulbs

Those super cheap shop lights tend to be noisy. The racket is coming from that tiny electronic ballast cube at one end.
PoleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Blues Hockey Fan

Loud Flourescent Bulbs

Ended up buying a shop light that had a cold weather ballast and it worked great...no noise and it popped on right away. So I bought 5 more and took the others back. They were only $5 more per fixture.
Good decision.

Sent from my HTC Android Rezound using Forum Runner.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Loud Flourescent Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I've done the same thing - go the ultra-cheapo route. I've got 4 of them hanging in my garage right now. The light is pretty green for a little while, but they come around okay. I'm assuming that the cheapest models have the smallest starters and ballasts - maybe even a bit too small.

Also, on the ultra-cheapos, the tin is pretty thin, and not machined very well. It probably accentuates the vibration.
Doc, I will not give my lecture on color temperature and color rendering index again today but will mention that cheaper florescent tubes tend to emit the part of the color spectrum near their color temperature. The gases will stabilize and they will come up to their temp---cool white, warm white, etc. but many have absolutely terrible color rendering indexes of 80 or lower so things under them do not look right. Remember how people used to look green under florescent lights when pictures were taken? That was because the CRI was wacked. You want to aim for a CRI of 100 but certainly for above 90.

They are more expensive but bulbs with high color rendering indexes above 90 really make a difference. You can find them marketed usually as daylight, full spectrum bulbs. The good news is that although more pricey, they tend to be better manufactured and last longer. Research tends to suggest bulbs with daylight Kelvin temperatures above 5,000 are good for us too. Those around 10,000 seem successful in treating seasonal depressive disorders. Basically I guess we just crave a walk in the park and as a culture we do not get outdoors so much anymore.

Of course LEDs are getting better too and some of the nicer daylight ones have great CRIs as well. And prices are dropping to the point they are almost justifiable. The florescent tube replacement arrays are rather nice and many require no starters or ballasts.

http://ledlightingmanagement.com/led...endering-index

Last edited by user1007; 09-29-2012 at 01:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote