Looking For Some Advice - Laundry Room - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking for some advice - Laundry room

Hi, I am new to this forum and am curious about doing somework on my laundry room.. Well actually this would be for my mom because it is her house, but anyways..

Here are two photos of the current area.. What I am looking to do is if possible, put a door where the dryer currently is (next to the electrical box).

This door would lead into the house, and I would plan on closing off the current door that leads into the garage... The washer/dryer would be rotated 90 degrees and against the wall to the right. I have very very little construction experience, but I know it is something I could do with the proper direction..

My concerns thus far are the electrical box, does it seem OK if I were to frame out a door next to the box? Then I would need to re route the plumbing/electrical. I had a recent experience where I helped out working on a room similar to this and I saw how it was plumbed etc. The placement of the washer/dryer seemed to be right over the existing drain lines, much like my room..

Would there be any problems if I were to move the washer/dryer away from that? Is it as simple as routing the plumbing behind the sheetrock to the existing location?

Sorry for all the 'noob' questions, I just don't know where to start, but I do want to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for some advice - Laundry room-laundry-room.jpg   Looking for some advice - Laundry room-laundry-room2.jpg  

Advertisement

NavsENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

First thing----open that electric box and see what it is----that may be able to be moved or even eliminated.

Next---go into the basement and see if you have any air ducts in the proposed door opening.

You will end up removing most of the drywall in there----but let us know a bit more about what is hiding inside the walls.

Also---is this a single story house or a two story?

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 780

If you are moving them as they sit to the right you will not need to even move the plumbing. That box does look like a sub panel. Will venting the dryer be an issue on that wall?
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Is there only one door to this room? Can you add a layout drawing? Not only of the room, but the garage and how it all connects to the home and rooms surrounding it.
I'm no expert, but if you are changing this room from being considered part of the garage to part of the house there may be other building codes involved.

Other than that, like Polecat said, it doesn't look like the washer will be a problem if you keep it in the same corner. With the dryer you will have to move the power source and vent.

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
First thing----open that electric box and see what it is----that may be able to be moved or even eliminated.

Next---go into the basement and see if you have any air ducts in the proposed door opening.

You will end up removing most of the drywall in there----but let us know a bit more about what is hiding inside the walls.

Also---is this a single story house or a two story?
The electrical box is an added sub panel when our garage got extended. No basement in the house that used to just be the dividing wall from the garage to house. The rest of the room was just constructed to make a 'quick' laundry room when we had our garage built about 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
If you are moving them as they sit to the right you will not need to even move the plumbing. That box does look like a sub panel. Will venting the dryer be an issue on that wall?
I would move the dryer to the corner, then the washer farther on the right, do you think that would be ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Is there only one door to this room? Can you add a layout drawing? Not only of the room, but the garage and how it all connects to the home and rooms surrounding it.
I'm no expert, but if you are changing this room from being considered part of the garage to part of the house there may be other building codes involved.

Other than that, like Polecat said, it doesn't look like the washer will be a problem if you keep it in the same corner. With the dryer you will have to move the power source and vent.
Yes, just one door and it is where I am taking the pictures from. I don't know how to add a layout drawing.. Maybe I will try and draw one up? The vent on the dryer is in the right corner, maybe that can still be used as well?
NavsENG is offline   Reply With Quote