Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for ideas- built in tv console

My condo is about 10 years old and unfortunately it was built with a console type thing with the fireplace (I have no idea what to call the thing; see pic attached) and it was built to accommodate the old style CRT televisions. Now 10 years later there is a big hole that's just wasted space now. This has a little ledge but I have to use a board to extend over it in order to be able to have my flat screen sit on it. My TV is 52"

I need to do something with the top portion of this thing because there's no point having a big hole that serves no purpose. The top portion of this console is hollow so I can cut out what ever needs to be done once I decide what to do.

Does anybody have any ideas of what I can do with this empty space to better utilize it? What should i cut out and whats the best way to workout this thing? Ideally I'd like to sit my TV right flat on top of the area above the fireplace but I'm just not sure how exactly i should change thing . On the other side of this thing is the dining room.

Ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!

vancity2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Well, at least you already have power there. Where are the dvd player cable box, ect going to sit. If it was my house I would frame and drywall over the hole and bracket mount the tv. Accounting for the outlet and sturdy framing to hold the tv. I would not set anything heavy on a ledge, especially something with a cable or cord.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintdrying For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
Well, at least you already have power there. Where are the dvd player cable box, ect going to sit. If it was my house I would frame and drywall over the hole and bracket mount the tv. Accounting for the outlet and sturdy framing to hold the tv. I would not set anything heavy on a ledge, especially something with a cable or cord.
The cable box currently is sitting behind the tv where the hole is and I also forgot to mention that I have a sound bar sitting infront of the tv right now (Photo is quite old)..
vancity2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

The left side could be opened up for storage from what appears to be a dinning room on the other side. But there could be a big 'ol support pillar hiding in there too. Nice view.
PoleCat is online now   Reply With Quote