Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
jad

Share |

Looking for compacting material

Was not sure where to post this so I went to general discussion.... I am looking for some material (fairly cheep) that i can put down and compact to get a solid fairly smooth finish. It does not have to look pretty.
The area I want to cover is under a porch so is not exposed to weather and will only be used for storage. I would like something that i can sweep or use a blower on that will not turn into a dust storm. Any ideas what can be used that would compact well? and not allot of $$$$

joe
jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad View Post
Was not sure where to post this so I went to general discussion.... I am looking for some material (fairly cheep) that i can put down and compact to get a solid fairly smooth finish. It does not have to look pretty.
The area I want to cover is under a porch so is not exposed to weather and will only be used for storage. I would like something that i can sweep or use a blower on that will not turn into a dust storm. Any ideas what can be used that would compact well? and not allot of $$$$

joe
I don't think what you want exists in a compactable material unless you're willing to apply some sort of binder. You would need a solid base to start out.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Pretending to be Retired

What about heavy plastic sheeting or a tarp? Or maybe treated plywood?
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
jad

I do not want to use wood, and want something more durable then a tarp. The dirt is very compacted as it is but just wanted something a little cleaner.
I don't want to go through the expense and work of using pavers, was hoping for something I can shovel in about a inch or two thick tamp it down and be all set.
I thought I heard on one of those home improvement shows they used something in a walkway that once it was compacted it would be like concrete. But I know you can' believe everything you hear on TV
I was thinking of some sort of crushed granite....
jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

I would do a large heavy gravel. You won't be able to sweep it, but you could use a leaf blower/compressed air. Plus dumping some big gravel will be way easier than trying to build a compacted surface.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad View Post
I do not want to use wood, and want something more durable then a tarp. The dirt is very compacted as it is but just wanted something a little cleaner.
I don't want to go through the expense and work of using pavers, was hoping for something I can shovel in about a inch or two thick tamp it down and be all set.
I thought I heard on one of those home improvement shows they used something in a walkway that once it was compacted it would be like concrete. But I know you can' believe everything you hear on TV
I was thinking of some sort of crushed granite....
If you used "crusher run" 3/4" limestone you might get what you're after. It needs to be tamped down repeatedly, but supposedly over time it essentially bonds like concrete.

That's probably about as close to what you're after as you're going to get.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Pretending to be Retired

I was looking at the key words "fairly cheep" and "under a porch". To me that means lack of head space to be able to stand up, and dry.

Depending on how much work the poster wants to do, and the type of soils under the porch, several other ideas could be considered. If the soil under the porch is sandy, adding bagged cement powder to the top 2 or 3 inches of soil and mixing will produce a hard surface. If the soil is clay, adding fine bagged lime will produce a hard surface. Both of these will need moisture introduced during the mixing to create the interaction and packing the mixed material is also needed.
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote