DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Logs landing on a septic tank

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gma2rjc 
#1 ·
I had 2 Walnut trees cut down in my yard today.

There was so much going on, other than the tree guys being here, that I didn't think to tell them that the septic tank is right next to one of the trees.

As the logs were being cut and dropped to the ground, they were landing over one of the tanks. The logs are different sizes, but average 14"-20" across and from 24"-30" long.

My question is - Is it likely that the tank would be damaged? How strong are those tanks? They're made of cement.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I have another question.

It's possible that some of the logs landed over the pipe that leads from the house to the septic tank. Do you think that pipe would be underground far enough to where it would not have been damaged?

I don't know if this matters, but the ground is soft from all the rain we had last week, but not wet. The soil is loamy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barb

See less See more
#2 ·
How far of a drop??? I would think that everything is far enough underground. I am assuming the logs didn't fall on top of the tank lid. My tank lid is cement (tank is metal), and would have cracked.

I would be a bit more worried if they drove a several ton truck on top of the drain field or any other part of the system, in order to get to the tree.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Usually concrete tanks are made using reinforcing and are very substantial.
Unless the top is near the surface its not too likely to be damaged.
If you are really concerned, you could dig down, remove the covers and inspect the under-side of the top.
The tank should be pumped periodically, so it would be a good time to get this taken care of.
The intake and output pipes are probably about 12" below the top of the upper surface of the tank. So depending on how deep the tank is in the ground, would factor in, on how likely these pipes are, to be damaged.

#4 ·
Thank you Wildie and Bill7. In August it will be 3 years since the tanks have been pumped. I'm supposed to have it done then, but I'm going to have it done this month instead.

When I call to schedule it, I'll ask the gal if they can look things over for me.

I asked the tree guy and a few other people and they all say the same thing, that it's probably not damaged.

Thanks again for your help!

Barb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.