"liquidstainlesssteel" Paint?! Anyone Actually Seen It? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

"liquidstainlesssteel" paint?! Anyone actually seen it?

I think it was introduced about a year ago, but many places didn't have it in stock when I checked (maybe 4 months ago).
http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/

It's one of those 'seems too good to be true' types of things, but I was thinking I'd post to see if anyone's heard / seen / used the product. (they offer a free sample, a small square of the actual product, but they charge like $10 for shipping - to me that screams that they don't want to be sending those chips out or something. If it really was awesome, I'd imagine they'd want to be sending out as many as possible...)

Advertisement

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #2

(mods, if you think this is better suited for the painting subforum could you plz move it for me? I really wasn't sure where to put it)

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

Looks like it could be useful. Some of there pictures they did some tacky things, IMO. I think painting the sides of that white fridge black would have made the stainless look more realistic.

This company also has some products to get the stainless look:
www.alsacorp.com
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Well it was on Rachael Ray's show, she must be hot...I mean, it must be good
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
Looks like it could be useful. Some of there pictures they did some tacky things, IMO. I think painting the sides of that white fridge black would have made the stainless look more realistic.

This company also has some products to get the stainless look:
www.alsacorp.com
Yeah they did cabinets and other stuff I thought looked real bad with stainless (the cabinets... no matter how you did the cabinets they still would've looked like wood with stainless added lol).

Have you used, or seen used, any products from that company you linked?

I guess I'm looking for impartial reports saying that I'll actually be able to make my fridge look like it came from teh factory with a stainless steel finish. If it's just gonna look like I hit it with silver spray paint, I'm not interested
Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Well it was on Rachael Ray's show, she must be hot...I mean, it must be good
Haha lol! Is her show reputable? (sorry I don't have a tv hookup lol, all my media is based through my PC, so haven't seen any home renovation shows before!)

I guess I'm concerned with 2 things
- will it actually look like it's a factory finish (if done properly, of course)
- does it last (I'd hate to find that the stuff peels/chips easily after doing an otherwise awesome job)
Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
zel

I have used some of Alsa's products in the past, but none of their latest stuff.

If your fridge has a smooth white front, and the product works as advertised, it would probably look great. If you have a textured front, I wouldnt bother. I've never seen "textured stainless steel" before, lol.

I dont know what the procedure for prepping the surface would be, but any paint can chip or scratch. A high quality clear coat would help prevent it though.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
I have used some of Alsa's products in the past, but none of their latest stuff.

If your fridge has a smooth white front, and the product works as advertised, it would probably look great. If you have a textured front, I wouldnt bother. I've never seen "textured stainless steel" before, lol.

I dont know what the procedure for prepping the surface would be, but any paint can chip or scratch. A high quality clear coat would help prevent it though.

Cool to know about the clear coat (the liquidstainlesssteel stuff comes with clear coats, and the applicator is what is supposed to give it the lines that brushed stainless steel would have).

Damn, it doesn't seem anyone's actually had first hand experience. I know I can get a glossy metal look with stuff available at any home depot, but that's not what most fridge's look like, they're usually a brushed stainless finish, which is what seemed to make this product different (in that it would give you the brushed lines) than just making your fridge look like silver spray paint
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Haha lol! Is her show reputable?
I don't know.....

Lol...actually I don't trust most celebrity endorsements
And it was featured on her talk show, which also doesn't count for much IMO
...but she is cute
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #10

<< strongly resists urge to post more provocative female pictures>>

Yeah, if it's just been mentioned on a generic show I'm gonna have to say that it's just a paid product placement, unless someone's gonna vouch that that is not the case.

Damn, I really really wanna know if this stuff works, and I don't want to drop ~$100, time, and frustration to be the guinea pig on this stuff. If it works, it would seriously be one of the coolest new products - something that can make all your kitchen appliances (and tons of other stuff) appear to be stainless steel coated, and thus 'new' (when in fact, it's a 15 year old fridge lol). If the stuff worked like promised, I'd be all over it, and I'd imagine many others would be as well. I just want to find some unbiased feedback from people who have used it personally or seen it used!! Seems that is just not gonna happen because it's too new! I guess I may end up being the guinea pig, but not at this time as I've got too many more important things, but after that I can start playing with new stuff.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
Tired, Cold, and Damp

I appreciate the sample thing too, but lets face it...unless it's in liquid form, it doesn't help me all that much

I need to know how it goes on

Mebe I can get a liquid sample as I'm in the coatings business

I'll tell you what, if they refuse, it's usually because pros are more demanding of quality and less likely to part with cash then homeowners
(sorry...it's true...we've been burned way too many times not to be a little cynical)
Usually that's a good sign of a less than good honest quality product is when they by-pass the contractors and go straight to the homeowners
That's usually a Red Flag right there
Old 08-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
zel

I couldnt see paying $9 to ship a 3" x 3" sample. That, in itself, seemed like a scam.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

I've never seen the paint but I did find this:
http://www.fauxsteel.com/?gclid=CMDm...FQldQAodnhOMOA
It's like heavy duty contact paper for appliances.
I didn't land up trying it, if anyone does I'd love to hear about it.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
I appreciate the sample thing too, but lets face it...unless it's in liquid form, it doesn't help me all that much

I need to know how it goes on

Mebe I can get a liquid sample as I'm in the coatings business

I'll tell you what, if they refuse, it's usually because pros are more demanding of quality and less likely to part with cash then homeowners
(sorry...it's true...we've been burned way too many times not to be a little cynical)
Usually that's a good sign of a less than good honest quality product is when they by-pass the contractors and go straight to the homeowners
That's usually a Red Flag right there
I agree, especially with the bold. The stuff seemed too good to be true, but then again, it's just stainless paint, so it didn't seem that implausible.

As I said, they offered a flat sample of the actual product done with the same kit they send you (I know the liquid would be better, but if it's the actual product and the best way applied, it would be comforting to know that - done right / perfect - it would be good). It was something like a 2"X2" square, so it'd fit in a standard envelope. I wanted to give their stuff a shot (the ~$100-150 kit), so I figured I'd send away for the sample. When I got to the checkout part and it told me the shipping was $10 (it was over $10, I just remember it was low-double digits), my bull************ meter was screeching off the charts lol!!

If I sold that stuff, and it worked, I'd probably be sending the free samples postage paid, not putting a $10 premium to clearly reduce the number of samples leaving my warehouse!!

Guess I was just hoping for something I was pretty sure doesn't / won't exist. How cool would it be to take a 15 year old fridge and give it a face lift with steel on the outside, and black on the sides? It wouldn't take long at all and would do so much for a kitchen!

Advertisement