Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

Share |

linoleum over black top garage floor

Ok this is a little weird but does anyone know if you can paint over linoleum backing. It is stuck to the floor because it is black top. We were going to do the 2 part epoxy floor for garages but we can't b/c of the black top. Or is there any other suggestions on what to cover the floor with other than paint. I am not sure if it contains aspestos or not so I don't want it to be exposed.
handigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... You'll be Happier,+ it'll last Longer to recover it with more rolled flooring...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Tileguy

Nothing you can do with it feasibly.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Household Handyman

You state that the linoleum backing is stuck to the floor because it is "black top". Now, would this floor be in the garage or elsewhere? Personally, I've never seen a garage floor made of what I know to be "black top" or asphalt. So, let's look at it this way- IF it is a garage floor, and IF it is black top/asphalt, then I don't believe that the two part coatings for garage floors will work on this. BUT-read the directions that come with the floor coating to see what it will or will not work with. IF it is a garage floor are you saying that it was originally covered with linoleum? Not familiar with that trick either. I don't see how auto tires would not make it move and tear. IF this is in a home, then I'm stumped as to the "black top". Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

Thanks Thurman, it is a grarage floor btw. The people who lived here before did everything real cheap. It is not to uncommon in this area for people years ago to black top the garage floor. However I don't know how to explain why it didn't move unless they used some sort of glue. In addition to the linoleum there was alto indoor outdoor carpet and 2 more layers of regular carpeting.
handigirl is offline   Reply With Quote