Lighting Fixtures In A T0bar Ceiling - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lighting Fixtures in a t0bar ceiling

Hi There,
We have just installed (okay....we had someone come and install) a drop ceiling in our basement but now we do not know how to go about getting the light fixtures down from the studs they are currently attached to. I want to drop them and then add the fixtures but I'm afraid it will be too heavy. Do I have to get pot lights??? Any help would be GREATLY apprectiated!!!!!

Advertisement

DIYMOM&DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lighting Fixtures in a t0bar ceiling

You can get lighting that is made for drop ceilings or you can adapt regular lighting to work in a drop ceiling. What you decide will dictate what you do.
If you drop the lighting into the grid, you will need to add support to the runners to compensate for the added weight.
You can lower a box, to the ceiling plane, but you must support the box as it will carry the weight of the fixture, not the ceiling grid system.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote