Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Share |

Liftmaster garage door opener problem

Hi All,

I've been lurking around here for a while and am now in need of some advice if anyone can help.

I recently bought a house that has a Liftmaster Formula One garage door opener. The house came with one remote for it, which works great. My wife needs a remote for her vehicle so I bought one for her too. I programmed it and they both work great as far as opening and closing the door goes. My problem is that whenever I have the new remote programmed to the opener, the door will randomly open and close throughout the day.

I spent the last few weeks narrowing down the problem, thinking it was something else. But now I have noticed that the correlation is with this new remote being programmed for our opener. My understanding is that most garage door openers use rolling codes now so I wouldn't think my neighbor would cause something like this. But perhaps some other sort of interference? That doesn't explain why when only the original remote is programmed -- everything is fine.

My next step is to try buying a different model remote and see if that works, but I'm not sure what the ultimate cause of the problem is. Or are there some known issues out there with compatibility that I haven't been able to find?

Here's a link to the remote I bought: Liftmaster 893MAX 3 Button Garage Door Remote

And here's a screenshot of the label on the door opener: Liftmaster 1270LM

Any input/advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kellah; 08-20-2012 at 07:30 AM.
kellah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

I had the problem with our garage door, also a Liftmaster. I reset the codes in the unit and both remotes and that solved the problem.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I had the problem with our garage door, also a Liftmaster. I reset the codes in the unit and both remotes and that solved the problem.
I've tried resetting the codes on the unit to no avail. Perhaps this is a naive question, but how do you reset the code in the remote?
kellah is offline   Reply With Quote