Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

levels

anybody ever heard of this. I picked up a new 6 foot level yesterday (stanley). I returned it because I get two different readings depending on which side i use. Though it might have been bent or something. I exchanged it for another one and the same thing is happening. It' s level on one side and when i flip it around it's not level. I have used levels before and never seen this. You should be able to use both sides. Right???

farrington135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
IHI

Rewards Points: 75

levels

Had the same thing happen with my Johnson 6', one side is dead on, the other side is waay outta wack. Typically when we go out and buy levels we take and start stacking them on top of each other to find the one with the most consistant and best accuracey...think guys would be suprised what they find when they try this, all levels are not created equal

Old 02-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

levels

I've owned a hundred levels. They all go bad eventually and some start off bad. To check a level I always center the bulbble, draw a line, flip the same bubble 180 degreees and put it on the line. Should read the same. Do this for every bubble.
I'm reasonably certain that bubbles are affected by temperature, atmospheric pressure and a few other things. I turn a bubble 180 degrees every time I read a level. HS.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
sub-contractor

Rewards Points: 25

levels

This is a problem that I ALWAYS run into when buying a level with "adjustable bubbles"

I know Iknow.... this sounds silly, but if you look at the level in question, I'll be willing to bet that it is the I-beam design and it has little screws on the little plastic piece that holds the glass cover and the tubes within.

Spending a little more money on a solid core design that cannot move the bubbles whether it's dropped or anything will save you the trouble of replacing your levels. Although I still do the stacking of levels at the original purchase, these more expensive models are pretty rare to be out of level.
Aceinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

levels

I agree with levels with bubbles permenantly set. If you care so much, spend some money and buy "Stabila". That's the only brand that has impressed me so far.

If you use the same level the whole job, at least you are consistent!

I also keep one level protected in the shop that I never use except to check other levels with. If you have that good one, then maybe you can adjust the adjustables to that one before you use it.

Last edited by FearnConstruction; 02-13-2006 at 02:48 PM.
FearnConstruction is offline   Reply With Quote