Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Share |

Lets talk weather alert radios

I'm about to buy a weather alert radio. Midwest 100 or 300
What I can't tell on the web is does it need a phone connection for alert ? or to even work at all ?
With the power on will it receive an alert sent by the weather alert stations.

Let me re phrase that with the storms possible in my area I want to turn on the radio with no sound coming out, then if a tornado is in the area while i'm asleep ,the radio will be energize by weather stations and sound an alarm.

This is the type i'm looking for Usually when a storm is in the area I turn on the radio or TV

Robut

robut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
STAFF

No you don't need a phone hook up, You will need to tune it to your area though. The radio will have a battery back up if it is one of the good ones. Also there will be several options where you can set the radio to just sound an alarm and believe me it will for sure wake you up. They really do come in handy when there is a storm coming.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

we just bought this one a month or so ago. works great and you can set it up for alerts in as many counties in your area as you want. the am/fm radio part doesnt have to be on for it to work. we get a lot of tornado alerts here and my wife wanted one. it has the instant weather button on the top and battery backup so it works when the power goes off.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR-300...6289990&sr=8-1
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

I have one, but my police scanner usually warns me earlier. I live in tornado alley, it's not unusual to get 10-12 warnings in the spring. More in the fall.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Tileguy

Each county in your state is assigned a code number. YOU then program-in whatever counties you want to receive an alert for. You can program your county and surrounding counties for example. The national Weather service issues the alerts and this issue is designed to also set off your radio for the counties you have it programmed for. Otherwise the radio can remain silent until an alert is issued. Or you can listen to the general broadcast at any time you wish.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robut View Post
I'm about to buy a weather alert radio. Midwest 100 or 300
What I can't tell on the web is does it need a phone connection for alert ? or to even work at all ?
With the power on will it receive an alert sent by the weather alert stations.

Let me re phrase that with the storms possible in my area I want to turn on the radio with no sound coming out, then if a tornado is in the area while i'm asleep ,the radio will be energize by weather stations and sound an alarm.

This is the type i'm looking for Usually when a storm is in the area I turn on the radio or TV

Robut
I ordered the Midland WR 300 today.
Thanks I'm in Mich. and out in the country, so this will be money well spent.
Robut

robut is offline   Reply With Quote