DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   LEt's PLay "Name that Pipe" (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/lets-play-name-pipe-126169/)

Superswid 12-10-2011 12:36 PM

LEt's PLay "Name that Pipe"
 
What the hell is this pipe sticking out of the ground for? It used to have an empty electrical outlet screwed on top of it which I removed. There are no wires or anything going into or out of this thing. Yet I can't pull it out of the ground because it won't budge. Does this serve some kind of purpose or can I just pull/dig it out?
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...1210-00065.jpg

housegsx 12-10-2011 12:49 PM

Conduit for the wiring but it was never finished?

Big Stud 12-10-2011 01:47 PM

If you just want to get rid of it, dig down just below grade and cut it off and cap it. then you can just give it a decent burial :thumbsup:

Superswid 12-10-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stud (Post 790516)
If you just want to get rid of it, dig down just below grade and cut it off and cap it. then you can just give it a decent burial :thumbsup:

what would I cap it with? And is it really necessary to cap it or can I just cut and bury?

joed 12-10-2011 03:47 PM

If it is an electrical conduit it could run inside you house somewhere. If you don't cap it, water could flow into the house. I would do at least some investigation to see where it might go.

Superswid 12-10-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 790605)
If it is an electrical conduit it could run inside you house somewhere. If you don't cap it, water could flow into the house. I would do at least some investigation to see where it might go.

Well it has always been un-capped and exposed. I cut it down and then stuffed a long rag down the top and then buried it.

Wildie 12-10-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superswid (Post 790612)
Well it has always been un-capped and exposed. I cut it down and then stuffed a long rag down the top and then buried it.

A proper cap may be purchased at any hardware store. A little glue and you would be safe.
However, now that the pipe opening is below ground level its conceivable that the rag would rot away and that you would have a river of water running into your electrical panel.
If this happened, you would then have a major problem on your hands.

ddawg16 12-10-2011 06:17 PM

See if you can force air down it....if it flows....it's comeing out somewhere....if not...then the other end is blocked...

Superswid 12-11-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 790691)
See if you can force air down it....if it flows....it's comeing out somewhere....if not...then the other end is blocked...

too late, already found a nice cap at Lowes. Cut it down, put some water-proof silicone inside the cap and placed it over the hole than buried it. I'm sure it was an electrical conduit that was not in use because as I said, it had a box on top without any outlets wired in. Just an empty box sitting screwed into the top.

Big Stud 12-11-2011 01:14 PM

I know it was not in use. That does not mean it doesn't come into your house somewhere. You did well to put a cap on it,


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved