Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Share |

LED Lights anyone?

We live on solar power, and therefore have to be cautious with our electrical use.
I'm interested in getting some LED lights for the home and I wonder if you have any experience with them.
Do you know of a good source?
How do you like the color of the light?
Have you tried the spots for can mounting?
How about the more regular looking bulb. Do they put out enough light for your needs?
Any other comments - thanks!

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Fixer of all things Broke

Send a message via AIM to LaHandyman

LED Lights anyone?

This may not help answer your question but, I have 4 LED small base bulbs in some motion switch night lights and my ice dispencer in the door of the fridge. The light is blue and not very bright. But for the savings I will live with it. My whole house have nothing but screw in florecent bulbs and some of my high traffic areas have motion light switches as well. All my out side lights are the screw in florecent type as well. All this together saved me about $50.00 a month on the electric bill

LaHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

LED Lights anyone?

Thanks for that.
All our lights are currently the 13 watt compact fluorescents.
I just bought a small LED light with solar panel for attachment to the garden shed. Not installed yet due to the awful weather we have had.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Fixer of all things Broke

Send a message via AIM to LaHandyman

LED Lights anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaHandyman View Post
This may not help answer your question but, I have 4 LED small base bulbs in some motion switch night lights....
I just took these 2 pics to show you what they look like. I used an eye loop to get the blowup on the bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Lights anyone?-2008-christmas-012.jpg   LED Lights anyone?-2008-christmas-013.jpg  
LaHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #5

LED Lights anyone?

I don't know what's available as far as light bulbs for use in regular fixtures, but can assure you that LEDs use about a third as much electricity as comparable incandescent bulbs. They are also super durable because they don't have a filament. They'll basically last a very very very long time.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #6

LED Lights anyone?

Thanks KC.
I did a little research into the LED's, and it seems they have ratings anywhere from 30,000 to as much as 100,000 hours of use.
Since I'm not in the habit of believing everything I see from an advertiser I will take the 100K with a grain of salt.
It surely only must be a matter of time before these LED's are commonly available.
I am quite curious to find out how they are in the real world compared to the CF's.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Man of many hats

LED Lights anyone?

I have only used them in Kiosk displays for spot lighting and they are ok, the set I used were 12 LED disc lights and are a bit dim. I would suggest nothing less than 18 LED for decent lighting, but they are still quite expensive. I was hoping by now they would have come down more in price, but maybe the popularity isn't there just yet. Since power consumption is more important to you, that might not be an issue, or for use in hard to get to places like the ceiling. They do say that temperature effects the life span. Since it does not get that hot up there, I don't think that will be a problem for you. I also have an outdoor solar LED spot that worked quite well at first, but now, about 5 months later, the light is dim, but I suspect that is due to poor quality batteries but have yet to change them out.
Let us know if you find a good source. Though I am currently using CF, I'd still like to change my most often used lights to LED.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #8

LED Lights anyone?

Hi wrangler:
I wasn't aware that a higher temperature shortened their lifespan, so thankyou for that.
And I also note that for the most part they seem more suited to task lighting than to general illumination.
One other point I discovered, is that a university in Scotland has been trying to find a way to get more light out of the LED's. What they came up with was a way to actually make holes in the LED's to get the light out. Evidently, they have a system which can be used economically on billions of LED's now, so that is an obstacle which no longer exists.
As far as cost goes, we seem to think only short term, don't we? Over the life of an LED spot, I think I read that it could save something like $240 in energy costs, based on someone paying 10 cents a kwh now. So, even if a spot costs $30 - a price I have seen on a couple of sites - the long term savings are indeed significant.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #9

LED Lights anyone?

On a Green site I visit someone had a lightning storm
His 3 LED bulbs failed
Not another bulb or electric device in his home was effected
Just something to think about
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #10

LED Lights anyone?

That's interesting. Fortunately, we get very little in the way of lightning here. But I think if we ever did get a direct hit that our inverter would get blown to bits. I have seen very strange things happen to electrical systems on boats when they get struck.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Man of many hats

LED Lights anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
As far as cost goes, we seem to think only short term, don't we? Over the life of an LED spot, I think I read that it could save something like $240 in energy costs, based on someone paying 10 cents a kwh now. So, even if a spot costs $30 - a price I have seen on a couple of sites - the long term savings are indeed significant.
Oh I do agree that the savings and convenience are well worth the investment, just that it is a bit expensive for the initial conversion... at least for my budget! Especially since I was able to get the CFs for less than $1 each at a Black Friday sale a couple of years ago.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #12

LED Lights anyone?

I did my first web hunt for LED's only about two months ago and nothing since. Until today. I can't believe how much more is out there so fast.
One site shows replacing a regular 60w incandescent with an LED resulting in net savings of $159. Per light!
They claim if that every household in the US changed just one bulb over, it would save more energy than a huge power plant puts out every day.
Another site has what looks like a good bulb to put in the cans over the kitchen counter for only $16, and that is with free shipping to the US and Canada, Gotta love that. I'll keep looking, and if I don't find anything much better in the next few days I might just get 5 and see how they are.
Some of these guys run up to almost $200 a pop! A tad too much for my blood.
Last time I got a pack of CF's here it was $10 for a 6 pak. That was just before xmas.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #13

LED Lights anyone?

Sam,'s Wholesale Club is selling a few type right now with regular screw bases.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #14

LED Lights anyone?

We were getting 4paks of CFL bulbs for free after instant rebate

There are many problems with LED bulbs right now as the bugs are worked out. Lack of proper engineering - poor cooling - this will kill the LED in very little time. Some designs simply do not have enough testing yet & are flawed. We had a supplier of LED christmas lights & almost his entire line was going up in smoke when used. Yes - made in China.

I'll wait, I do have LED rope light that I use & in the kitchen (3) under counter hockey puck lights
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #15

LED Lights anyone?

I have the 100K LED "string" lights under my kitchen cabinets. They have been in for 5 years and I rarely turn them off. I bought them on-line, 4 - 60" strings for $30 each back then. I'll be darned if I can find who I got them from. I do remember they offered several styles and different bases, applications.

They work just fine with no heat to mention. I'll keep looking for the site I bought them from.