Leaving Eaves Open - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaving eaves open

I have a 1940's bungalow in Boston, my eaves were boxed in but squirrels keep getting in! I opened them up and cleaned out everything they brought in and found a few dead ones. My question is can I leave them open and just clean them up or is that a bad idea? Any help would be great.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120926_181816.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  25.3 KB

Advertisement

John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

Leaving eaves open

You have a mess there. Far better to knock out the blocking and add vented vinyl soffit.
If it was mine I would use Certainteed vinyl cove moulding and beaded soffit.
That would do to things keep the old house look and give you a place to lock in the last piece of siding that looks like someone tryed to face nail and it's all buckeled on your house.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 09-26-2012 at 06:34 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Leaving eaves open

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
You have a mess there. Far better to knock out the blocking and add vented vinyl soffit.
If it was mine I would use Certainteed vinyl cove moulding and beaded soffit.
That would do to things keep the old house look and give you a place to lock in the last piece of siding that looks like someone tryed to face nail and it's all buckeled on your house.
The blocking you see is one piece running all the way to the top of the roof. I am getting the house resided, I am just confused whether close them up with mdf and cut holes and put vents in or leave them open. I know air flow is important for the attic and it is finished but old and don't want the squirels back, the ate through the siding once. Thanks for your help
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 602

Leaving eaves open

MDF for outside trim
Then replace the old soffits with alumium soffit.

Get rid of the over hanging tree limbs so they can not get back up there.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Leaving eaves open

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G. View Post
The blocking you see is one piece running all the way to the top of the roof. I am getting the house resided, I am just confused whether close them up with mdf and cut holes and put vents in or leave them open. I know air flow is important for the attic and it is finished but old and don't want the squirels back, the ate through the siding once. Thanks for your help
If you do not install a ridge vent the newly installed soffit vents will not really work well. Critter control will be easier with new heavy duty soffit vents also.

Last edited by hand drive; 09-27-2012 at 12:41 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Leaving eaves open

There are many open rafter eaves, I dunno if it is style of your 40's bungalow. That blocking has to go if it reaches under side of roof and you want ventilation from under eave.. Stretch screen wire vertically back past outer wall across rafter bays down to house wall behind siding, may need some narrow blocking up top between rafters to fasten screen to. Cover screen with 1/4" hardware cloth under siding, screen door molding over top edge of cloth screen. Plenty of ventilation, no bugs, no rodents.( Sqweerell just too hard to spell)

Cut back branches if scraping roof or house, but the skwe.... tree rats gonna come across on them wires anyway.

Advertisement

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote